• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

A,s barred or unbarred?

Xander

17 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

naughty. definite signs of bars, look likes a worn/broken punch was used.

Yes, now ignoring my emails and phone calls. legal action may be required. You don't expect this from a reputable company like Ingram's. 

On 04/09/2019 at 17:18, Xander said:

Yes, now ignoring my emails and phone calls. legal action may be required. You don't expect this from a reputable company like Ingram's. 

That's what small claims court is designed for. Keep a record of everything they and you have said and file a claim against them. Based on the evidence you have presented you should win

@Xander What date though? I must say that most "Unbarred As" are worn or damaged punches, often you can see half of the bar for example. Truly unbarred As are quite rare because the error is generally due to such punches, they were originally thought to be inverted Vs but they are not.

Also please do share the seller!

note: just read your post, yes Rendel is slippery and expensive. They take poor quality photos to hide condition and errors. I asked for a few images and received ones whereby you couldn't tell one way or the other

note2: I see from the photo it's in a slab, so if it is labelled as Unbarred I don't actually see how it's their fault ?

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

4 hours ago, sg86 said:

@Xander What date though? I must say that most "Unbarred As" are worn or damaged punches, often you can see half of the bar for example. Truly unbarred As are quite rare because the error is generally due to such punches, they were originally thought to be inverted Vs but they are not.

Also please do share the seller!

note: just read your post, yes Rendel is slippery and expensive. They take poor quality photos to hide condition and errors. I asked for a few images and received ones whereby you couldn't tell one way or the other

note2: I see from the photo it's in a slab, so if it is labelled as Unbarred I don't actually see how it's their fault ?

Hi. The coin was sold as unbarred A,s. The problem started when NGC quite rightly refused to grade it as unbarred, Rendel was adamant they were wrong, he said that NGC didn't know how to grade "English" coins, only American ones, so, after a lot of emails about the coin it was clear NGC was correct, we eventually came to an arrangement.

The contradiction about NGC  though, he sells plenty of their graded coins at large premiums.

I meant to say the date was 1842 

10 minutes ago, Xander said:

Hi. The coin was sold as unbarred A,s. The problem started when NGC quite rightly refused to grade it as unbarred, Rendel was adamant they were wrong, he said that NGC didn't know how to grade "English" coins, only American ones, so, after a lot of emails about the coin it was clear NGC was correct, we eventually came to an arrangement.

The contradiction about NGC  though, he sells plenty of their graded coins at large premiums.

I meant to say the date was 1842 

I've got a graded Unbarred 1842, let me check it.

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

PCGS, pictures can't quite grab the detail, not sure why actually I used to be able to focus a lot closer..... Maybe being a little lazy with lighting as wanted to take quick picture before shut PC off, plus it's slabbed.

Under scope there is a clear break though you can still see the sides, maybe the same punch but a little more worn?

20190910_0010.jpg

20190910_0011.jpg

20190910_0012.jpg

The Gold Sovereign

Archived