• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone stack pre 1947/Junk silver, show us your stack

Tickety

I collect primarily USA and Mexican silver, but mine is all in tubes. 

Ok, here's the 90% silver "junk" stack. Left to right: dimes, half dozen Morgan dollars, about four dozen Mexican 10 pesos, quarters, and half dollars. That's roughly 105 oz silver. 

Before my sudden major expense last year, I had more than twice as much. So this is what I've rebuilt in 90% circulated stuff since then. First in their storage tubes. Then they're out and about, catching some fresh air. 

IMG_20190808_2349308.jpg

IMG_20190808_2356039.jpg

If non UK silver is ok, this is my stack of Swedish silver "doubles" as it is. It is a almost 3 kilos and silver contents between 40 and 80 percent. I have over 12 kilos of similar coins coming in any day now :)

And to think, this is only doubles... I try to collect all the coins, years, types and variations from when we went from daler to krona as currency in 1873 till today :) I have a few older Swedish silver coins as well but they are treated way nicer than these ;) Individual flips and such haha! The doubles are kept in a cloth bag from the Swedish "Riksbanken" :) Seems fitting for some reason.

IMG_6321.JPG

10 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

And to clarify, Swedish coins had silver in them until the 1960s. Some coins went do cupro nickel early in the sixties, others late. :) 1968 it were all cupro nickel. Sad..

Much like American coins, which had 90% silver until the mid 1960s. The US Mint still makes these in 90% silver, but they're for collectors only, not intended for circulation. 

Incidentally, US 90% gold coins were in circulation until 1932, when Roosevelt did an astonishingly evil and un-American thing, and made it law that all citizens had to turn over all their gold to the even more evil private bank, the Federal Reserve. But what I'm getting at is the Mint still makes the gold $5 half Eagles and occasionally the $10 Eagles, but of course only as collector commemoratives. These are among the best value for gold here in the US, since dealers often have them on special priced sales, often at or just above melt price. 

I have a full date run of all denominations of pre 47 British 50% and now just focusing on upgrading the conditions of the ones I have.

I did have a fair few kilos but traded a lot with friends from America and Canada so I have a fair collection of their silver coins as well.

I am now slowly getting more sterling silver coins  .925 pre 1920

Here is my UK stack of about 80 oz of pure silver. I need one more tube of George VI Half Crowns and I am done with 50% UK junk.

Have about 400 ounces (silver content) of junk in total, mostly European. Will probably put a photo in the full stack section when I reach my target of 500 oz. 🤓

IMG_0886.JPG

Instagram: gildeon_67

28 minutes ago, Coincollector said:

Gildeon- nice tubes if you don’t mind me asking where you bought them from?

would this be the correct tube size for the coins:

Sixpence 20mm tube

shilling 25mm

double shilling 30mm

half crown 35mm

Everywhere in eBay,  just put coin tube and hundreds will show up, mainly from China.

If I am remembering correctly, it is

Sixpence 19mm tube

shilling 25mm

double shilling 27mm

half crown 32mm

For the Florins you can get round tubes like the others in 27 mm, i just liked this type.

Instagram: gildeon_67

5 hours ago, Williams said:

hi was just wondering what price on average do pay for pre 1920 sixpence 

The pre 1920  stuff I find usually goes for a bit of a premium, I usually just go for the pre 1947, not fussed what I buy just the weight and as near to spot as possible. sometimess if you are patient you will get it for under spot but the dealers know what they are doing and usually price accordingly.

On 13/08/2019 at 16:31, Tickety said:

The pre 1920  stuff I find usually goes for a bit of a premium, I usually just go for the pre 1947, not fussed what I buy just the weight and as near to spot as possible. sometimess if you are patient you will get it for under spot but the dealers know what they are doing and usually price accordingly.

thank you just getting started with silver coins I've found someone selling vic and Edwards  they mixed  (50% silver and sterling silver) for £25 for 50 of them 

3 minutes ago, Williams said:

thank you just getting started with silver coins I've found someone selling vic and Edwards  they mixed  (50% silver and sterling silver) for £25 for 50 of them 

Sounds like a good place to start, you will soon find your feet, there is some great advice on here and people who will help and advise.

On 09/08/2019 at 14:43, Coincollector said:

Gildeon- nice tubes if you don’t mind me asking where you bought them from?

would this be the correct tube size for the coins:

Sixpence 20mm tube

shilling 25mm

double shilling 30mm

half crown 35mm

I have a lot of those tubes that @Gildeon uses as spares - let me know what quantity you want. mostly Half Crown,   sixpence and shilling sizes. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Hi, I'm really new to this and sorry about asking in a wrong thread, but can somebody tell me what is today's decent price for all uk 0.500 20-47 silver? When going through local antique shops I only found half crowns for 3£ a pop, which seems fair?

Thanks.

On 15/08/2019 at 15:41, Foe said:

Hi, I'm really new to this and sorry about asking in a wrong thread, but can somebody tell me what is today's decent price for all uk 0.500 20-47 silver? When going through local antique shops I only found half crowns for 3£ a pop, which seems fair?

Thanks.

Sounds not too far off, hope it goes well for you.

8 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

It's finally here!!!! 12 kg of Swedish silver coins between 40 and 80% Let's get sorting!!

😍🤩😍🤩😍🤩😍🤩😍🤩

Silver.jpg

What a fantastic haul, it should keep you busy for a while. 

2 minutes ago, Tickety said:

What a fantastic haul, it should keep you busy for a while. 

Ohh yeah! Been waiting for these babies for a couple of weeks now. 

Actually bought them from a friends grandmother who's father worked in a grocery store for many years and every day after work he sorted out the silver coins and replaced them with copper and cupronickel coins :)

Archived