• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queen's Beasts bullion milk spotting?

goldmember44

One of the things that makes me a bit hesitant about silver bullion coins in general, is the issue of milk spotting. I've heard an English dealer told me that popular bullion coins like the Queen's Beasts and silver Krugerrands are notorious for getting milk spots. I have a handful of beasts, and so far I've seen some evidence of milk spotting in about 2 or 3 coins. Very slight, but looks like it's starting. I would be interested to hear if you've found milk spotting on your Queen's Beasts coins? How bad is it? Prevalence?

I am collecting them as investment bullion rather than for grading. The tubes I have are all in good condition and no evidence, as yet, of any spotting. I also had some Krugerrands from 2018 that I got in the Feb of 2018 and when I sold them in March 2019 they were in good nick and no signs of spotting then either. I will have a look at the older Queen's Beasts I have tonight and update if there is spotting.

The only coins I have had where this has been an issue has been with the Maples - but this is something I have been told is a common problem. Then again, the Royal Canadian Mint do not appear to care too much about this given that their perspective on the 1oz silver coins is that they are sold as bullion and therefore the planchet cleaning and preparation process remains the same and they will not change this.,

19 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Then again, the Royal Canadian Mint do not appear to care too much about this given that their perspective on the 1oz silver coins is that they are sold as bullion and therefore the planchet cleaning and preparation process remains the same and they will not change this.,

I think the moves they have taken to stop the problem of milk spotting with the surface protection they have been applying to coins since last year show they do care or are at least bowing to investor/collector pressure. The introduction of Mintshield was a much needed step in the right direction and it will be good when other mints do the same.

8 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I think the moves they have taken to stop the problem of milk spotting with the surface protection they have been applying to coins since last year show they do care or are at least bowing to investor/collector pressure. The introduction of Mintshield was a much needed step in the right direction and it will be good when other mints do the same.

Thanks for this. I was not aware. I stopped all interest in the Maple when they stated that they had no interest in reviewing their procedures and so have not seen this news. Clearly they have now made some effort and so apologies for my misleading earlier message. Lesson to self - think and review before posting!

A.

The RCM say they have addressed the milk spotting problem by changing the rounds cleaning process. I don’t have any coins from before 2016 so I can’t verify this.

6 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

One of the things that makes me a bit hesitant about silver bullion coins in general, is the issue of milk spotting. I've heard an English dealer told me that popular bullion coins like the Queen's Beasts and silver Krugerrands are notorious for getting milk spots. I have a handful of beasts, and so far I've seen some evidence of milk spotting in about 2 or 3 coins. Very slight, but looks like it's starting. I would be interested to hear if you've found milk spotting on your Queen's Beasts coins? How bad is it? Prevalence?

Yeah it's a huge problem with silver coins.  I would of rather have purchased bars but they wanted to charge more for no milk spots.  Seems to be unique to silver coins.  Doesn't happen with jewellery, silverware or bars

A few of my QB got spots as well. Nothing as bad as the picture on the post above though.

You can remedy them somewhat by using an eraser, soapy water and then rinsing. There's a youtube video that shows how to do this.

9 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Is there any feedback on the performance of Mintshield?

Archived