• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Release in South African Big Five Series - Lion

Frost

• 5 months later...

The coins are issued every 6 months, starting with the Elephant and the Lion in 2019. The Rhino is the third of the ferocious 5 to be featured in this series. Rhinoceroses are easily recognised by their prehistoric features such as armour-like bodies and the horns on their foreheads.

Rhinos, unfortunately, face a dire threat from poaching and rank among the most endangered species on earth. Their horns are made up of the highly sought after keratin, which is used for its supposed medicinal purposes.

The “Big Five” term originated when big game hunters visited the shores of Africa to shoot for trophies, and locals warned them about the five most dangerous animals in Africa: the Elephant, Lion, Leopard, Rhino, and Buffalo.

From HERE - - - > >  >https://www.samint.co.za/2020-range/#tab-id-3

30 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

I think the first coins in the series, the elephant and lion, are likely to appreciate in value. This series seems to be very popular internationally, and the mintages are only 15,000 each. I want to buy an extra coin of each...

Same here. Though still waiting on a good/better deal for the lion. What are you paying for it in the UK?

Do prices generally drop after first release?

9 minutes ago, robinvonbrex said:

Same here. Though still waiting on a good/better deal for the lion. What are you paying for it in the UK?

Do prices generally drop after first release?

Not many dealers in the UK have stocked this, we usually get it from European dealers. 

Sometimes if a series is successful the earliest releases become the most sought-after and therefore more expensive, probably due to some collectors joining later on and having to back-date the first few.

9 hours ago, EddieC said:

Agreed but still good. Need to figure out how I plan to store these (nice box etc) as present mine are completely sealed.

I understand wanting to put them together in a nice box or similar - especially when full set complete. But why not leave them sealed as is (for now)?

5 hours ago, robinvonbrex said:

I understand wanting to put them together in a nice box or similar - especially when full set complete. But why not leave them sealed as is (for now)?

That's the plan for now anyway was just looking at options. Either way they will stay in the capsules but if I can display the packaging they come in as well would be great. They haven't even come out of the selafane wrap yet.

17 minutes ago, EddieC said:

That's the plan for now anyway was just looking at options. Either way they will stay in the capsules but if I can display the packaging they come in as well would be great. They haven't even come out of the selafane wrap yet.

Yea, same here. Still wrapped and stored away. 

You are right though, the whole design, even the packaging, is so beautifully done and works well together. Maybe they'll provide something in the future. 

Agree, we need to get some way to display them together either in a custom made box from Alun or something else..like slabbing and grading. Whilst it's good to keep them sealed in the blister pack, especially with the view on resale later on, one doesn't get full enjoyment and benefit from the beautiful coins like that. That is why I want to have two sets...one stored away in original blister packs, and the other displayed together in a box etc.

Since this is the same size as the Krugerrand, my (first) idea was to buy a presentation case for 20 Krugerrand from Leuchtturm (Lighthouse).

Maybe add one or a couple of Silver Proof Krugs in there, and hopefully SA Mint will follow with another short series once Big Five is done in 2021.

But then I changed course since I've just ordered today some round capsules with intercept border, and don't think they'd fit in the above case.

• 1 month later...

Archived