• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Has anyone encountered tarnishing from encapsulated silver coins?

RogerBelmar

Has anyone encountered tarnishing from encapsulated silver coins? There was an interesting post recently from someone who had bought a very huge and expensive Canadian silver coin which was encapsulated. It started to tarnish within a short time.

Keep cool and dry with some packs as the previous post mentioned. Sometimes with the very best storage they can still tarnish. I have a few stunning silver proof coins that after many years are perfect and one or two new from the mint that i added 18 months ago stored in the same way / place went downhill after a short time. 

@iesilv

I had a similar question:

https://thesilverforum.com/topic/16409-what-capsules-argon-vacuum-sealer/

Additionally to what I had said I would do, I also use dessicant packs and this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Town-Talk-Incomparable-Anti-Tarnish-Storage/dp/B00B7RQN9C?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-uk-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00B7RQN9C

and this, for coins I have less than 20/25 of, so currently all:

https://www.thecoinsupplystore.com/collections/air-tite-coin-holder-tubes

It pushes the air out, when you close it. I still have the coins in capsules, so you'd need to get the size for capsuled coins. Where I bought it, it also came with better capsules than the ones I had already - they are thinner - thus less air. I still use the differently sized foam rings from the old capsules for the differently sized one ounce coins as the new capsules all have one size of foam rings...so if you don't have them, you need to buy the correct size foam rings seperatly which I have seen somewhere, too.

I have Silica Gel & Tarnish strips in my Royal Mint tubes and Tarnish Strips in all my 10 oz QB & Valiant Coins based advice of @ShadowStack YouTube channel. I don't have strips in any of my 1 oz Silver coins capsules but some of the coins are proof and after watching the video again and reading this thread made me rethink I need to add tarnish strips to my premium silver coins in capsules.

Tarnish is primarily caused by sulphur compounds that form silver sulphide which if the layer becomes thick enough looks black.
Very thin layers that appear gradually form interference layers for light, like oil on water, showing different colours and patterns according to the molecular thicknesses across the coin or bar. Some call this patina and some love it but I hate it personally as silver should be bright and shiny. Let's just call it "rust" to be blunt as it is a chemical compound like an oxide.
Hydrogen sulphide, a gas, is in the air and unless you live in an extremely clean-air environment, industrial pollution, car exhausts, decaying food, smoke etc will create sulphur based gases and contaminants ( on your skin for example ) that will react over time with your pristine silver. Fine silver is less susceptible to tarnishing than sterling silver.

Bonfire night is an example of creating a lot of atmospheric pollution, as are open fires, wood burning stoves and smoking cigarettes.
Some industries pollute the air and the particulates ( do you smell anything industrial in your air ? ) carry for tens of miles.

Silica gel will not prevent tarnishing but I place a small bag of this desiccant in a container just to keep out moisture.

As for milk spots & stains this is a huge topic mentioned elsewhere and is like a disease of silver created in some mints more than others.
If your coins are milk spotted then the only way of removing the stains is to use a polish and fine cloth to remove by buffing.
This will introduce microscopic fine scratches or affect the metal surface so it will look different but bullion coins are just that and look awful when stained and spotted rather than bright and shiny.

Archived