• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What capsules? Argon? Vacuum sealer? ...?

silenceissilver

I'm rather new to stacking silver and gold coins and I want to keep both types of coins with no contact to air.

First I tried out ordinary lighthouse capsules, just to find the coins rattling inside. So I bought a vacuum sealer but I have a hard time finding bags that fit one coin and are statedly without PVC or the like. I also don't want them to touch each other, although if they can't move against each other, I doesn't really matter, I guess. But I also want to be able to see them, frankly. Then I have seen a Youtube video from a precious metal dealer who talked about argon (a customer whould have told him he would be using it.) So I bought a product called "winesafe" to extend preserve opened wine bottles with argon. However, for individual capsules, it doesn't really work as they are not deep enough or even if it does work, you don't know if the argon really is in the capsule  - probably not. Then I tried out air tite capsules and was surprised to get the same light house capsules, just bigger ones and with foam rings. There is still plenty of air as the coins are thinner than the capsules. That is particularly so for the sovereigns where it might not really matter as they are not made of silver but principally it applies to all coins - also the thicker silver ones. Now, I thought the way to go might be these quadrum intercept capsules - the only thing being they take too much space. Does anyone know the same type of capsules, with the same technology (copper in the plastic binding all the pollutants) - but round ones. Or any other suggestions?

In terms of silver I have currently 20 ounces, the next order will be ca 50 mostly one ounce coins (depending on the silver price next month). After that I will go for the tubes and will see how the argon might work for them but for now I'm talking about single coins (a few of each, not enough for a full tube). (If they are all of the same type, I don't need to be able to see every single one)

@danmc82. Lol, also not within reach of any thieves, up in the space.

Yes, I want no tarnishing, no milks spots and not rattling (the sovereigns still do a bit in the air tite capsules because they are so thin - the size is defo correct)

"Are you saying air tite capsules have to much air in them?"

Yes, I have seen some people here have said they keep their coins there and they still got milk spots. Also, I want to keep them for decades and it seems to me the coins in air tite capsules can still tarnish over such a long period.

I used to capsule every oz of silver in high quality capsules and didn't handle them at all. It's a waste of money, they still got milkspots :( 

Once you've stacked a fair amount of silver in 1oz capsules it becomes a pain when you keep knocking them over 😅tubes are the way to go.

I would say if your just stacking coins such as 1oz Britannia don't worry about it, when you've stacked up 10,000oz and time comes to sell the buyer will just drop them on the scales.

I'v not had any issues with gold other than receiving coins direct from the mint with red spots. I do keep gold in capsules though.

Have a read of this previous thread and it may give some more info.

I use food grade vacuum bags and seal in a few coins if just BU generic.  Special stuff gets put in a bag on its own. Just cut down the bag size for single coins (keep and reseal the cut off bit). I also seal twice along the edge. Cant say definatively wether vacuum bags work or not though, but at least it is air tight, as in air removed and not just the air within contained when it was put in a capsule.

Milk spots - how and why

Just trying these strips to see if that may help. Apparantly the Intercept ones are better than the 3M version. Early days yet on this as only read about these this month ago and just purcased some. 

Anti Tarnish Strips

Thanks @fiveshotdon and @Uksilverstackers

I think I will go for a combination of your tips and use anti tarnish strips in both air tite capsules and tubes, prob not in vacuum bags that I will certainly use them for bars, maybe also coins although right now I won't buy any bars.

Does anyone actually use argon though on it's own or addtionally and tried to get it into a tube, vacuum bag (it's not a 100% vacuum) or even a flat capsule?

Legal disclaimer: Don't handle argon unless you know what you are doing as it can make you suffocate, particular in badly ventilated rooms.

I think if you go down the Argon route, you are looking to remove the oxygen within the containment not mix with it. 

You could purge Argon though the containment to eject most of the oxygen then either vacuum or just seal to make air tite. A cheaper option would be to use Oxygen Free Nitrogen as this would probably yield the same result in a domestic evironment. Either way you are looking at handling high pressure / oxygen depleting gases! And for what gain. 

I'm not sure if they even use this in storing very high cost, very rare items long term in a commercial business. At a guess I would say a big vault is probably just dehumidified, if that. 

Some of the forum sponsers must use vaults for storing long term items. Maybe they can advise on the environment conditions (Temp/ Humidity) they would like to achieve within their containment or is it not an issue they just get it in and out as quick as possible?

Alternatively its to just buy cheapest bullion you can get and forget about it and sell it at bullion price later complete with milk spots and tarnishing. Like fiveshotdon said above, the buyer will just drop it on the scales 👍😎

Thanks @UKsilverstackers I think you have a point with argon probably not even used professionally it doesn't make sense for a small stacker like me. I'll just use air tite capsules for coins of which I have less than 20/25 and tubes otherwise, both with anti tarnish strips, and vacuum sealing for seminumismatic coins/unsealed bars I might occassionally get like the one Jubilee head Victorian crown (lots of wear and tarnish, not even sure if it is seminumismatic).

I know what to do know, so thanks again!

4 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

@Skelator88

"never vacuum a coin capsule though or direct to a coin"

What's the reason you shouldn't do this?

PS: Nice 50p collection you have got there

Sorry that was my rushed typing.

what I mean is I’ve never vacuumed a coin capsule or direct to a coin.

just because I’ve never needed too as I’m obsessed with slabs 

Archived