• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 Canadian sovereigns!

Ryland

27 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I wonder why they didn't make them sovereign sized?

28 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I wonder why they didn't make them sovereign sized?

I agree they should’ve made them the same size as the sovereign, but then again even the Royal Mint has been tempted into making different sizes lately

These are not "Sovereign's" IMHO. Unfortunately the Mint couldn't get the sole rights to using the name exclusively.

These look more like commemorative coins and the fact that HM Queen Elizabeth's head does not feature is a big giveaway.

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Ugh! Tacky :( 

I’ll admit I got excited when I saw your subject line. But, to me, these so-called Sovereigns by various issuers seem like desperate attempts to take advantage of an established name/brand.

I see your point but with double thick sovereigns that the mint has put out it’s not like there is anything sacred when it comes to size.  It’s a sovereign, the only thing different is the size 

Just now, Ryland said:

Don’t say that guys!!!!  I’m buying them and I don’t want to think I’m wasting money!!

Sorry. I didn’t mean to come across as harshly as I did.

If you like these coins then go for it. At the end of the day this is subjective hobby. But usually people also think of resale value, even if the resale is meant to happen a generation down the line. I personally, and honestly, don’t see these “Sovereigns” as being valuable beyond their spot price. But I’m not as knowledgeable as others here, so you can take my words with a pinch of salt :)   

24 minutes ago, Ryland said:

I see your point but with double thick sovereigns that the mint has put out it’s not like there is anything sacred when it comes to size.  It’s a sovereign, the only thing different is the size 

My yardstick is whether the design matches the UK Sovereign (barring the mintmark of course) and if the coins undergo the annual Trial of the Pyx.

For this reason I don’t even consider the new Australian Sovereigns as valid issues because they have “25 Dollars” written on them and don’t undergo the Trial.

Just my personal opinion though. I know people who collect the Aussie Sovs, which are actually very beautifully struck, and seem to hold their collector value.

15 minutes ago, Ryland said:

You guys have me worried, maybe I should cancel my order?

It depends why you have bought them. If you like them and you identify with the anniversary, then fine.

However, if you think they will appreciate in value, I suspect you are mistaken. I say that without any knowledge of the Canadian commemorative coin scene, so I may be totally wrong.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I was hopeing they would be seen in the same category as the India sovereigns and thought if there’s only 500 it might be a good thing to have but seeing that people on this forum who are sovereign crazy don’t seem very excited makes me hesitant.

Archived