• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New to silver

Laurens88

Well, by pure change I stumbled on a topic about the silver/gold price and coin collection. Within 3 days of reading about it and watching collectors talk on youtube, I think I have some sort of addiction process starting to grow in me. This Forum was named as a 'must join', so here I a :)

I want to start buying some silver, pure as investment but also for a collection. Since we pay extra taxes on bars in the Netherlands, coins is the way to go. I've done some calculation and a monsterbox of maple leafs is the cheapest option, even with the premium. This will go into a safe to be dusted of again in a few years to sell, should  prices rise again. For collection, I particularly like the Lunar Serie but I am not sure what the best way of approach is. I read that you shouldn't buy from the start of the serie because of the high prices and that it is better to start collection from last year and than buy the new editions. I am in need of some good advice, are there any articles that you would advice me to read. All thanks in advance, maybe some questions are very basic but I'm more than willing to learn and take good advice.

Laurens,

Quick question.  Although it may sound odd, what type of "investment" do you want to invest in?  There's at least 2 types in silver.  You can invest in silver with the anticipation of silver increasing in price, or you can invest in "premium" coins in anticipation of the premiums increasing.  Buying a monster box of maples would probably be an example of the former, whereas buying multiples of the Lunar coins might be an example of the latter.  Neither is right or wrong, it's just up to you.  Once you decide on your approach, we may be able to offer more specific advice.  The best piece of advice I can give right now is for you to figure out as much as you can about how and when you want to sell your investment silver, before you ever buy.  That will go a long way towards determining what you should buy.

11 hours ago, lmwstamps said:

Quick question.  Although it may sound odd, what type of "investment" do you want to invest in?  There's at least 2 types in silver.  You can invest in silver with the anticipation of silver increasing in price, or you can invest in "premium" coins in anticipation of the premiums increasing.  Buying a monster box of maples would probably be an example of the former, whereas buying multiples of the Lunar coins might be an example of the latter.  Neither is right or wrong, it's just up to you.  Once you decide on your approach, we may be able to offer more specific advice.  The best piece of advice I can give right now is for you to figure out as much as you can about how and when you want to sell your investment silver, before you ever buy.  That will go a long way towards determining what you should buy.

Well first, as @BackyardBullion said in one of his video's, like shiny things :) I have the luck to have a decent paying job and I bought my house in a very good time in the housing market. I've been working now for about 12 years and saved some funds. Wisdom comes with age and I don't want to have all my money on a bank account in the form of some numbers and digits. Knowing that a new crisis must come sooner or later i prefer to have some physical wealth. I want to spread out my silver buying. I'm thinking about buying a monsterbox as a form of wealth preservation and possible long term investment for the future. At the same time I'd like to start collecting silver coins just as a hobby and maybe sell those should their value increase in the future.

2 hours ago, Laurens88 said:

Well first, as @BackyardBullion said in one of his video's, l ike shiny things :) I have the luck to have a decent paying job and I bought my house in a very good time in the housing market. I've been working now for about 12 years and saved some funds. Wisdom comes with age and I don't want to have all my money on a bank account in the form of some numbers and digits. Knowing that a new crisis must come sooner or later i prefer to have some physical wealth. I want to spread out my silver buying. I'm thinking about buying a monsterbox as a form of wealth preservation and possible long term investment for the future. At the same time I'd like to start collecting silver coins just as a hobby and maybe sell those should their value increase in the future.

So from your answer, it seems that you are more comfortable in investing in silver with the anticipation of silver increasing in price (or at least keeping pace with inflation).  In that case, without knowing what the market is like in the Netherlands, you might want to look at investing in generic silver rounds.  Again, this all depends on who you anticipate selling to when you dispose of your silver investment.  This also is dependent on your local silver market.  For example, here in the US, dealers will sell Maples at a higher premium than generic silver rounds, but will buy them back as if they are generic silver rounds.  This means you lose a little more money in the transaction when you buy and sell Maples versus buying and selling generics.  Now I realize that you aren't looking for a quick flip, but at the end of the day, you will be buying silver to resell (possibly, unless your plan is to pass it on).  In all probability, though, the particular viewpoints of silver rounds, coins, and bars will be the same whenever you choose to sell as they are today.  The cheapest generic silver will allow you to buy more of it while relying solely on the fluctuation of the silver price and ignoring premiums.  One other factor you may want to consider is ease of disposal.  When it comes time to sell whatever you choose to buy, try to project who would be willing to buy.  Would collectors be interested, would most dealers be interested or only some?  Obviously you can't know for sure, but if you buy something today that is a good deal, it may be a good deal because it's not easy to sell since there is more supply than demand.  

11 minutes ago, FFkook said:

How about arranging a Dutch group buy in the near future? Maybe that will help some, depending on budget..

I am planning on doing a large orders with GS.be soon. I would be more than willing to arrange  a group order to reduce shipping cost etc. Of course this idea is completely original and has nothing to do with previous British group order examples of an undisclosed person *cough* BYB *cough*.

39 minutes ago, lmwstamps said:

So from your answer...

Thx for the reply! For basic, I want to buy silver as a form of wealth preservation. Knowing that of course there is a small possibility of even lower silver prices in the future. It gives a reassurance not all of my wealth is stacked on a bank account. A part of that same stack will be used as a possible investment should the silver price rise. The second (smaller) part is collecting which does not have a profit/safety net oriented idae behind it. I just like the idea of owning a collection of several nice coins. Should I be able to make a good profit out of them for a possile sale in the future, that would be a case of good luck. 

I've been looking at my option but bars have an extra 21% tax in the Netherlands because of their  industrial purpose so normally, coins are the way to go. The cheapest silver I was able to find online are the older year maple leaves on https://goldsilver.be/en/. Since these are recognisable for dealers and other stackers it would seem these would be worth the price for stacking purpose, right?

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 02:17, Laurens88 said:

Well, by pure change I stumbled on a topic about the silver/gold price and coin collection. Within 3 days of reading about it and watching collectors talk on youtube, I think I have some sort of addiction process starting to grow in me. This Forum was named as a 'must join', so here I a :)

I want to start buying some silver, pure as investment but also for a collection. Since we pay extra taxes on bars in the Netherlands, coins is the way to go. I've done some calculation and a monsterbox of maple leafs is the cheapest option, even with the premium. This will go into a safe to be dusted of again in a few years to sell, should  prices rise again. For collection, I particularly like the Lunar Serie but I am not sure what the best way of approach is. I read that you shouldn't buy from the start of the serie because of the high prices and that it is better to start collection from last year and than buy the new editions. I am in need of some good advice, are there any articles that you would advice me to read. All thanks in advance, maybe some questions are very basic but I'm more than willing to learn and take good advice.

Laurens,

Here are a few sites that have a lot of great information about PM's. I would stay away from the maple leafs as they are notorious for getting milk spots.

https://www.jmbullion.com/investing-guide/

http://www.free-bullion-investment-guide.com/

Archived