• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Don't Clean Acrylic Coin Capsules with Acetone

Pete

Today I received some premium silver coins in crystal clear Perth Mint Capsules.
The seller used sellotape to attach each capsule on to a piece of card for shipping.
I have seen this method used a number of times but unless the capsule is wrapped beforehand the sellotape leaves a sticky residue behind.

Because these were premium priced coins I wanted to remove the glue left by the sellotape and thought I would try some acetone which I conveniently had to hand.
Just a dab on a paper towel and ++ !! F*CK !!++ - the capsule started to dissolve and cloud over.

I thought I would post this information so fellow stackers do not make the same mistake

DO NOT USE ACETONE AS A CLEANER ON COIN CAPSULES

IMG_1919.thumb.jpg.1f75b2adb89635cdf314cb6157a41592.jpg

oooh will have to remember than one, also do not use Cilit Bang on any seashells you might have on display in the bathroom, my wife completely melted my poor dried starfish specimen with it, he was just a fizzing bubbling large mess when I next went into the bathroom.

Ouch.  I always assume acetone is ok on plastics, must be a particular type.  Suggest alternative would be isopropanol alcohol which is used for electronic contact cleaning (can get at Halfords)

Good news is this means the caps aren't made from PVC which resistant to acetone (and piqued my interest).  

Could try

De Solv It.Sticky Stuff Remover.  (B & Q, Tesco) 

Description

Powerful yet safe solution to those sticky problems around the home. Zaps even difficult deposits such as tape and sticker residue, tar, grease, chewing gum, make-up and adhesives. Can be used on glass, wood, metal, worktops and tiles.

Hmmm, doesn't mention acrylic so is anybody's guess. Worth a try - maybe.

Archived