• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What are your typical silver purchase volumes or sizes?

Bimetallic

Hi all – In my article comparing prices between dealers, I construct different order scenarios. What order size and composition is typical for you? I'd like to get a feel for how many ounces you might buy in one order, and what sizes and products it would consist of. That way I can make the price comparisons more relevant to as many people as possible.

So far, I've run the following scenarios:

1. Four oz. One of each of the following major coins: Silver Eagle, Maple Leaf, Kangaroo, and Britannia.
  2. One mint tube of 20 American Eagles
  3. One 10 oz Royal Canadian Mint bar

Are these orders too small? Help me out. Thanks!

32 minutes ago, Bimetallic said:

Hi all – In my article comparing prices between dealers, I construct different order scenarios. What order size and composition is typical for you? I'd like to get a feel for how many ounces you might buy in one order, and what sizes and products it would consist of. That way I can make the price comparisons more relevant to as many people as possible.

1. Four oz. One of each of the following major coins: Silver Eagle, Maple Leaf, Kangaroo, and Britannia.

Get what you are comfortable with, You don't want to be buying to the point you are asking "am i spending too much". Silver stacking is a marathon and not a sprint. @StackerNoob has a couple of good videos on this.

34 minutes ago, Bimetallic said:

Considering I have just placed group orders for nearly 1300 Oz in the last few weeks and likely to be doing another 300 - 500 this weekend I have great vision for order sizes.

A lot of people take up full rolls or tubes. I would say the average person ordering in the group order spends about £200, some less, some considerably more!

Hope that helps!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

With silver prices so low and potentially quite large bubbles on the horizon I'm taking the opportunity to buy silver to stack more than collectable pieces with higher premiums.

However the stock market crashing and silver shooting up again is speculative. Silver has been shown to beat inflation, but over long time frames. What is more certain is that throwing some money at my mortgage while interest rates are nice and low will save me money, especially in the long term. I therefore prioritise this and spent approx. £330 on this group order. As tempting as the pretty shiny things are it's important to not over exert yourself.

34 minutes ago, DrKarlMoneys said:

throwing some money at my mortgage while interest rates are nice and low will save me money, especially in the long term.

Exactly what I have just been thinking about, over-paying by a larger amount while in the fixed deal.

But will still buy silver to put away, try and do 5 or 6 oz at a time where I can.

Get what you are comfortable with, You don't want to be buying to the point you are asking "am i spending too much". Silver stacking is a marathon and not a sprint. [mention=3423]StackerNoob[/mention] has a couple of good videos on this.

I'm not buying anything here. I'm just getting prices for these orders from a bunch of dealers and comparing them for the article. (I think a lot of people overpay, and the Monex scandal prompted me to write this article.)

9 hours ago, Agpanda said:

I normally only buys 1 oz at the time

Still buying when I have the money to spend

Same here, but in silver! Little and often. Not the best strategy as I pay postage each time rather than once on a bigger order but I like getting one or two new things regularly. 

I am sure you're covering it already but postage costs is worth factoring into your scenarios

26 minutes ago, Blockhead said:

Same here, but in silver! Little and often. Not the best strategy as I pay postage each time rather than once on a bigger order but I like getting one or two new things regularly. 

I am sure you're covering it already but postage costs is worth factoring into your scenarios

Pretty sure @Agpanda is talking about silver (pandas man, I don't understand, pretty though)

Over a grand for an older one ounce panda? Wow. I like silver pandas too but I could get one or two ounces of gold for that 

Added 0 minutes later...
20 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

Pretty sure @Agpanda is talking about silver (pandas man, I don't understand, pretty though)

10 hours ago, Agpanda said:

I normally only buys 1 oz at the time

As I only gets NGC MS70 pandas before 2001

They cost about 1000-2500£ each it wont be that many

Still buying when I have the money to spend

@Bimetallic

At the moment i have a handful of silver. From forum sellers and other sources.

i am about to begin my buying 'strategy', and i will be donating to my pot each month. a little gold, a little silver.

for me, initially to assist with 'front loading' it will be around £1000 of silver to be sent off for storage. For us in the UK, we get taxed to buy and sell silver. 20% VAT to buy, and upto 28% Capital Gain Tax to sell. Add on the commision of the seller and it becomes expensive over spot.
however, we have a 'perk', a couple of our silver coins come under Legal Tender status, meaning they can be sold without paying tax upon selling.
for this reason, i will buy £1000 worth of silver Britannias. this could be 60-70 coins roughly and wil vary on spot.

because of the tax upon selling in the UK, and because i am buying as investment in silver and not investment in a collection, this completly rules out for me all silver bars, and the other 95% of the silver coin market.

2 hours ago, PansPurse said:

Just remember, capital gains tax is only on the profit made, and only once over one's capital gains allowance for the year

Yes, but...

maybe its its my opinion. But why worry about the risk of cgt at all. Or worrying about declaring, or calculating profit loss and trying to offset with other assets. And it’s another calculation in the HMRC return. 

Also as an investor I wouldn’t sell unless there was profit. Otherwise it just stays in the portfolio. So avoiding that tax is a priority.

On 16/08/2018 at 11:30, BackyardBullion said:

Considering I have just placed group orders for nearly 1300 Oz in the last few weeks and likely to be doing another 300 - 500 this weekend I have great vision for order sizes.

A lot of people take up full rolls or tubes. I would say the average person ordering in the group order spends about £200, some less, some considerably more!

Hope that helps!

Thanks. By the way, I picked up wisps from other threads that you make bullion, possibly for group orders. Where can I get the complete picture or summary of what you do? Is there a dedicated thread?

1 hour ago, Bimetallic said:

Thanks. By the way, I picked up wisps from other threads that you make bullion, possibly for group orders. Where can I get the complete picture or summary of what you do? Is there a dedicated thread?

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Archived