• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sotd Prince George

Cornishfarmer

2 minutes ago, kugelblitz said:

The 2nd run of the 2017 sotd without privy sold out 6-8 month after release (I think).

Maybe there is no 2nd run of the same coin this year - and the mint indeed learned something :)Would be great...

If that were the case they’d have declared the “maximum coin mintage” as 750.

As I said earlier in this thread, the 750 applies to the coins in this presentation; so I think it’s highly likely we’ll see another 750 or so for Prince Charles’ 70th birthday in November, similar to what they did last year with the mintage declarations.

No sale for me lol!

9 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Other way to look at it is if hardly any sold could be a chance that it is the rarest sovs about.  Especially if these get snapped up by a foreign investor and stored they just won’t come available..... time will tell

Well if they’re truly “struck on the day”, then there can’t possibily be less than 750, so regardless of whether all are owned by one person, or 750 people own one each, they can’t be rarer than the 500 struck on the day of the 65th jubilee of coronation :)

12 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Well if they’re truly “struck on the day”, then there can’t possibily be less than 750, so regardless of whether all are owned by one person, or 750 people own one each, they can’t be rarer than the 500 struck on the day of the 65th jubilee of coronation :)

I don't think they'll sell out at 750 and the same coin is likely (imvho) for Charles' 70th in November (I forget which kind soul pointed that out).

Who knows what the Mint will do with the spares (no point asking them they seem to be the last to know!) - perhaps they'll just keep and repackage for Charles.

Should grade at ms dpl

bu = weak proof?! kinda strange I was thinking... Just googled a bit and found this:

dpl = mirror surface

pl = proof like characteristics (I guess frosting, details, ...?)

http://www.greatcollections.com/kb/PL-and-DMPLDPL-Morgan-Dollars-and-Other-Issues-t114-4.html

Makes sense I would say. Anyway, I thought proof = mirror, frosting, details...

I have just had a look at my certificate (No.617).  Under "A Royal Celebration" it says "650 Sovereigns were struck on 22 July 2018..." but on the next page it says "Limited Edition Presentation: 750".  So I would guess this inconsistency is the error?

• 1 month later...

I just received an example of this coin a couple of days ago and found that my coin (in addition to several scratches on both sides of the capsule) had what appears to be not a screw type capsule b/c I have tried and tried to unscrew it and it won't budge. Also my capsule has a half moon type cut- out on it. Was it b/c of this that they suspended shipping of this coin for ahile? To get their packaging in order? Well I have news for you Royal Mint- I love your products but I think you guys need to tighten up the quality control when you ship things out. For the kind of premiums we pay there's no excuse to be sending out coins with scratched capsules or mis-printed COA's.

Archived