• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1oz & 1/2oz gold vs silver 1oz. Can someone post a photo?

ChrisSilver

• 6 months later...

Remember , sovereigns should be the main stacking coin for u.k stackers, tax free, capital gains tax free, can easily be transported through airports, as they have a face value of £1.00 and can be carried as lose change, great for when you want to retire to the sun , they can be sold or traded worldwide , can be bought for low premium over spot. Great looking coin

I don't think that Sovereigns have a face value on the coin. Got some full and halves and can't see any value on them at all.

Sovereigns are weird; not only have they never had a face value on them - unusual for a legal tender coin, they also omit any indication of fineness or weight, thus they shouldn't really qualify as an investment coin either.

One of life's great oddities. They are the quintessential bullion coin, been around forever almost. And one of the most widely known coins too. Other than perhaps in the US. The British army used them as wages all across the subcontinent. As did the colonialists. To this day RAF pilots carry them in their emergency kits in case they have to bail out over enemy territory. Gives them something to bribe their way out with. That is what I read any way!

Always a good investment. And CGT free too if you buy loads and make a killing on them.

Of course in the US, for the exact reasons you state re fineness and weight marking being absent, they are not popular. The general stacker over their does not know enough about them, and for the SHTF stacker, they are of no use, as the general public wouldn't trust them.

British Gold Sovereign coins are given to the US air force pilots in their survival gear, if they crash in a hostile territory. British Gold Sovereign coins being preferred by the most powerful nation in the world shows the world wide acceptance that these coins have acquired. During World War II, Allied pilots carried British Gold Sovereign in their survival kits as well. Even in Operation ‘Desert Storm’ the American pilots and the British SAS troops carried British Gold Sovereigns in their survival kits as emergency money, in case of getting shot down over Iraq.

if you want something big to look at and around 1/2 oz have a look at the 4 ducat.

Its thin but a great design, low premium and around the same diameter as 1.2oz 50 peso or quint sovereign.

AlEiytD.png

Love the look of that 4 ducat !! Nice coin.

Hey Chris, i am new to the forum, did you ever buy any gold in the end, my own  preference would be to buy 4 full gold sovereigns rather than one ounce coins because you get to buy 4 coins of different dates or styles as opposed to just one. I find full sovereigns to be a reasonable size and if you put them in capsules they feel even bigger. There isn't enough difference in price to make it worth buying a one ounce coin over 4 sovs in my opinion. I can see how it might be hard for someone used to getting a lot of silver for there money finding it hard to get such a lot less for there money. But as i only really buy gold for wealth preservation i find the small size to value ratio quite appealing. Good luck but don't leave it too long as gold seems to be on it's way back up.

Silversword, how very dare you acuse me of being a collector, i buy purely for investment, it just happens that i like to invest in particular dates of coins thats all, i would sell any of my coins in a heartbeat if i had to, well maybe i would keep some of the nicer ones. OH OH , my name is jazzman and i am a collector. :D

Archived