• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1oz & 1/2oz gold vs silver 1oz. Can someone post a photo?

ChrisSilver

• Founder & Administrator

I was wondering if anyone would be able to upload a photo showing the size comparison between a 1/2oz and 1oz gold coins, vs a 1oz silver coin?

I am really thinking about buying a 1/2 oz gold coin soon, but if its too tiny I will save a little longer and get a full oz.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Here's a pic of a 1oz silver Britannia bullion coin and a 1oz gold Krugerrand bullion coin,sorry I have no 1/2oz gold coins.

P1020123_zpse7bf499b.jpg

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Thanks for the photo motorbikz :)

I think 1oz gold coins are a good size. But anything smaller I am thinking might be too small, after all, I don't want to get a magnifying glass out every-time I want to have a look at my collection.

What's your opinion, is there still room for a smaller sized coin? 

Personally the smallest silver coin I have is a 1oz, which I find to be a really nice size. So anything smaller than a gold 1oz might seem to small and insignificant. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I quite like sovereigns Chris,I haven't got any at the moment but IMHO I don't think they are too small and are relatively speaking not too dear for a gold coin.

Are the sovs about £200 at the moment?

Yea. and half sovereigns just under £100. Atkinsons has some. If it wasn't for the fact they were 22 carat I would have bought one maybe, I quite like the classic design on the sovereign, 2012 special one looks nice as well. 

As I have a lot of Perth Mint silver coins though, I think it's only right that I buy a Perth Mint gold coin as well. The Kangaroo's look pretty nice in YT videos.

Discounts / Offers

What's your opinion, is there still room for a smaller sized coin?

Of course there is room, I favor the 1/10 oz. gold coins for the following reasons...

• Available - Never had a problem getting one
  • Affordable - 1/10 of spot + premium is easily managed compared to spot + premium... ouch :unsure:
  • Easily Sold or exchanged - As gold continues to rise, it may not be easy to sell 1K or 2K coin.
  • Detail - All the detail of the coin is still there, but yes you may need a magnifying glass

Just my 2 cents... sorry my 1/10 cent ;)

I have 1/10 oz Britannias and they are okay in size - it's what you do with it that counts.

If buying gold coins the premiums tend to be higher the smaller the denomination so always go for one ounce if you can.

I like the Britannias and Canadian Maples, less so the Krugerrands.

If you can get gold proofs at near bullion prices they can be stunning.

If buying gold coins the premiums tend to be higher the smaller the denomination so always go for one ounce if you can.

Agreed you look at any 10th of an oz gold coin the premium is very high.But again if you like the coin buy it, also for anyone wanting a little bit of gold they are affordable.

I have to agree, as denomination goes down, the premium does go up.

I could mention dollar cost averaging across ten purchases instead of one, but that could go either way depending on timing.

The REAL reason I purchase 1/10th oz. gold is... HEALTH

My wife would kill me if she found out I spent about $1,400 dollars (US) on a small yellow coin, but I can hide 10 purchases of about $150 dollars (US) each over a couple of months B).

Happy Wife, Happy Life :D

I could mention dollar cost averaging across ten purchases instead of one, but that could go either way depending on timing.

My wife would kill me if she found out I spent about $1,400 dollars (US) on a small yellow coin, but I can hide 10 purchases of about $150 dollars (US) each over a couple of months B).

Nice,something i'm not worried about having got shot of mine last year :)

Nice,something i'm not worried about having got shot of mine last year :)

Are you saying you shot her (wife) last year???

Should you be saying that on a public forum.

See how we Americans twist everything :P

OK, I'm kidding

Isn't a trunk something on an elephant and i thought a hood was on your coat not a car :P

Just to clarify for our American buddies no I didn't shoot her :)

Isn't a trunk something on an elephant and i thought a hood was on your coat not a car :P

Just to clarify for our American buddies no I didn't shoot her :)

Thanks for the clarification/translation, I'm still struggling with the English language thing. :huh:

Yes english is my first language and there is no second. :wacko:

Remember , sovereigns should be the main stacking coin for u.k stackers, tax free, capital gains tax free, can easily be transported through airports, as they have a face value of £1.00 and can be carried as lose change, great for when you want to retire to the sun , they can be sold or traded worldwide , can be bought for low premium over spot. Great looking coin

I got my stack out to take photo's with the view to sell and my wife said why the hell you selling,you should sell in retirement made me hide them again and said don't be silly.I agree happy wife happy life,I must be happy been with her 29 years, mind you she did say to have and to hold i am still waiting for her to hold it.

I got my stack out to take photo's with the view to sell and my wife said why the hell you selling,you should sell in retirement made me hide them again and said don't be silly.I agree happy wife happy life,I must be happy been with her 29 years, mind you she did say to have and to hold i am still waiting for her to hold it.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Awesome!!

Same here (26 years), but I thought everything changes with that holding thing after 28 years... now I have nothing to look forward to...  :angry: 

Thanks SilverPirate

Picture showing left to right -

One ounce gold Britannia, half ounce, quarter ounce and tenth ounce.

Lower row the one ounce silver Britannia and the new 24 carat Britannia 2013 which is larger in diameter but thinner.

post-47-0-01169000-1395592654_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the photo pete :)

So maybe a 1/2 ounce of gold isn't too small like I thought.

Discounts / Offers

Archived