• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Mintshield technology Royal Canadian Mint

LiX

Just watched this video on youtube:

Royal Canadian Mint are claiming that they have produced a technology to significantly reduce the milk spots!

The info from the video here - http://www.mint.ca/store/campaign/Mintshield-7700022?lang=en_CA#

Anyone with 2018 maple leaf to give some feedback? It this thing worth eliminating milk spots?

Hello,

i have purchased 6 of these so far this year and they do, in my humble opinion, have some sort of shiny glossy coating on them that makes them appear a different color than those of earlier years. I believe these coins to be of higher quality than previous years. No scientific backing to this only what I have observed! 

Cheers,

silver snacker

• 4 weeks later...

After their initial response to milk spots of " Its bullion coins, we don't care just get over it" Has altered my opinion of them permanently. I will buy their bars occasionally but will never be buying their coins again. Had they said "We are working to rectify this" I would have retained respect for them. People with badly spotted coins will be lucky to get melt price for them. Their initial stance basically told people that the fact that their investment has decreased in value is none of their concern. Not a good way to stand behind your product IMO... And now they want my trust back? Not going to happen. There are plenty of other mints that make products that will retain their value.

32 minutes ago, STONE said:

After their initial response to milk spots of " Its bullion coins, we don't care just get over it" Has altered my opinion of them permanently. I will buy their bars occasionally but will never be buying their coins again. Had they said "We are working to rectify this" I would have retained respect for them. People with badly spotted coins will be lucky to get melt price for them. Their initial stance basically told people that the fact that their investment has decreased in value is none of their concern. Not a good way to stand behind your product IMO... And now they want my trust back? Not going to happen. There are plenty of other mints that make products that will retain their value.

Totally agree. Too little too late. And suddenly the complete opposite to the contempt they showed before to complaints. I even have serious doubts they are telling the truth about working on this for so long. As we all know, the big boys in the PM market did not have a good year in 2017. My gut feeling is this has been a rushed PR project by them to try lift their image and re-boost sales.

It's not a solution anyway as far as i gather, they are applying a lick of some sort of coating to cover the problem. They themselves have already said it will not guarantee to eradicate the problem and instead reduce and/or delay the onset of milking. Wow quite an innovation their team of technicians have come up with after "years" of toil. They have moved on to a brand new level of contempt - for our intelligence.

Or probably they have been using this technology on the proofs (which has a better profit margin), I don’t remember people complaining about RCM’s silver proof coins from developing milk spots at least not as bad the RM’s silver proof coins. Probably the slump in bullion sales in 2017 together with being labelled as a bullion coin that will definitely develop milk spot that makes their sales situation even worse. Basically just rebranding something they already have on bullion coins to lift their image probably?

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

I little of topic.  I'm a big fan of the look of RCM coins but not a fan of the dreaded milk spots.  The RCM coins seems to shine a lot more than other coins.  Anyone know why?

I know my loved Perth mint Lunars have a frosted style background which I guess reduces the shine, different look.  Queens beast series or britannia's don't shine/bling anywhere near like the maple pops.

Thoughts?

Archived