• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

eBay Shipping Overcharged

Pete

Hi folks !

Just received some silver coins from an eBay'er in Germany who charged me €25.50 for a DHL express service but sent regular post costing €6.20 only.
Any of you reckon I have a legitimate claim / resolution centre if needs must, for some refund due to the fact that (a) there was no choice of shipper and (b) he/she did not comply with their own terms ? By comparison if I charged and specified Special Delivery to any of you but send second class letter post you would be p*ssed i'm sure.
I kind of feel cheated as having paid over the odds in the first instance ( my choice though ) to buy specific coins, feel the shipping difference is too high to ignore.
Anyone else have a similar experience ?

14 minutes ago, midnightskirmish said:

I'd be straight on the case there's no way I'd be happy with that amount of overpayment

Especially if it was specifically stated in the listing how it would be shipped thus justifying the higher cost. That was a straight up rip-off by the seller.

You'd think all you'd need to do is snap a pic of the envelope or box showing the lower postage and share that with eBay. I'd also grab a screenshot of the listing just in case (not sure whether the seller can edit the listing after it's sold).

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Hi folks !

Just received some silver coins from an eBay'er in Germany who charged me €25.50 for a DHL express service but sent regular post costing €6.20 only.
Any of you reckon I have a legitimate claim / resolution centre if needs must, for some refund due to the fact that (a) there was no choice of shipper and (b) he/she did not comply with their own terms ? By comparison if I charged and specified Special Delivery to any of you but send second class letter post you would be p*ssed i'm sure.
I kind of feel cheated as having paid over the odds in the first instance ( my choice though ) to buy specific coins, feel the shipping difference is too high to ignore.
Anyone else have a similar experience ?

If the postage was displayed with the auction, eBay takes a cut of the postage. Still, it seems a bit much.

Yep I have had sellers from Aus & the US that have done that, I just never buy anything again from those sellers .

Just to clarify I'm not talking about a couple of dollars, same story as Pete, paid for specific type of registered shipping but sellers decide to send by far cheaper method.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

If it was a couple of quid I wouldn't bother but that is taking the piss imo. If it states DHL then it should be DHL . I would complain to the seller first and see what he says , if he doesn't offer a refund then take it further

3 hours ago, whitesands1 said:

Did the package arrive in the timescale you expected?  Notwithstanding that it is not good Karma and certainly not good for building repeat business.  With all the issues being raised it is time to have a rouge's gallery on the Forum!

It arrived a day late but not concerned about that.
I've tried to correspond with the seller and noted that he / she has sold many coins to the UK(  judging by the feedback ) specifying DHL Paket international and not had any complaints so I am abandoning any attempt to recover about €15-18 as a lost cause and frustrating waste of time.

Just now, Pete said:

It arrived a day late but not concerned about that.
I've tried to correspond with the seller and noted that he / she has sold many coins to the UK(  judging by the feedback ) specifying DHL Paket international and not had any complaints so I am abandoning any attempt to recover about €15-18 as a lost cause and frustrating waste of time.

That's what the Rogues' Gallery relies upon.  It is frustrating and it is a waste of time and energy.  It is also a waste of money.  Everything weighted in favour of the seller.  At least the Forum helps keep members' guards up - they are hard to beat though!

I have the same problems with shipping costs from the USA to Europe(Netherlands), for one and the same coin the costs for registered shipping vary from $12 to $35. I'm ok with the $12 even $20 sounds reasonable, but when I ask a seller why the charge $35 for standard registered shipping, the just tell me that's what it will cost. Even when I tell them that I normally pay around $15 for the service.  

Also MCM is way to expensive with there shipping cost, because the send every coin with FedEx express. For a $500 coin that's s fine with me, but if I want to buy a MS70 2017 panda for $45 i'm not going to pay $39 shipping costs!!! Do other forum members have the same problem with MCM, because sometimes the have great deals. But if you ad the shipping costs, the are way to expensive for coins less then $150. 

@sgcoins Yes MCM shipping is a joke.

Another thing which is becoming more prevalent on ebay US is the global shipping programme(run by Pitney Bowes) which is an absolute con,I have asked US sellers to use USPS and mention the Global shipping programme to them & most don't know what you are talking about. I think ebay US somehow use GSP by default & sellers have to opt out of it.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I eventually reported the seller to eBay and they were very supportive.
I then called PayPal and I was offered half the difference in charges as a gesture of goodwill - that's a good result and they thanked me for bringing this to their attention. Less the hassle over the amounts - more the principle of being fleeced.

Archived