• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint weight discrepancy on Quarter Sovereigns (proof vs bullion)

Posted (edited)

RM says the quarter sovereign in proof, has a different weight comparted to the bullion coin...

I've noticed that the bullion coin is listed as "1.99g", yet proofs are listed as "2.00 grams" according to the Royal Mint's own website (screen captures below), and on the blister packs / cards.

In contrast, according to 'The Gold Sovereign' book by Marsh (revised by Hill) 2021, on page 232, the weight is stated generally for both proof and bullion as "1.997 grams"

So...

If Marsh & Hill are correct in that all proofs and bullions are 1.997 grams, does this mean the RM is wrong about the proofs being exactly 2 grams? If so... dare I say Trade Descriptions 😂 (I'm saying that tongue in cheek, I know its a tiny amount of gold in difference)! 

If the RM is right, why would a proof weigh a tad more than a bullion coin?

I bought a proof 2009 when first issued, and picked up a blister pack 2022 memorial... just noticed this difference in statements about the weight and scratching my head about why the RM quotes different weights for bullion versus proof (?).

Indeed the full sovereign, is quoted by RM as being the same weight regardless of proof or bullion issue.

Any ideas what's going on here? Then again, it is the RM...

image.thumb.png.8a29dc273cfe76c1ee12d15f122c24dd.png

image.thumb.png.2c567b845e290cb442c8ae4cadf2788d.png

Edited by Esjayc
Edited due to my dodgy autocorrect!

I'm going to guess sloppy editing and rounding errors in the website publication.  I'd love to know if anyone tests some actual coins and finds them out of spec.

1.997 is 2grams (i d say anything above 1.995 is 2 grams

the difference of 0.003 g equates to 0.17 gbp if i m not mistaken, at current rates..

amongst all atrocities made by RM recently i would say this is really nothing..)

Agreed - not a major issue!

Just curious as to "why" they'd print and publish (online and on the packaging / certificates) different weights for (apparently, putting aside finish) the same coins 🙂

As I mentioned in my thread RE: Quarter oz Brits.  they also list a discrepancy in weights between proof and bullion.

They list bullion as 7.775g  and proof as 7.80g.    When weighed my bullion 1/4 oz weigh 7.80g,

Posted (edited)
On 01/05/2024 at 18:59, MassiveGoldenDongle said:

As I mentioned in my thread RE: Quarter oz Brits.  they also list a discrepancy in weights between proof and bullion.

They list bullion as 7.775g  and proof as 7.80g.    When weighed my bullion 1/4 oz weigh 7.80g,

Re. the Sovereign, it has always carried a weight tag of 7.98g. It could be argued that this is incorrect because the true weight is 7.98805, which to 2 decimal places should be 7.99!  Instead, it has been rounded down to 7.98 to ensure it complies with the minimum weight. Modern sovereigns can weigh in excess of this, so if it’s 8.0g - no problem!

During circulation there would be weight loss, so if it reached 7.937 then it would not be legal tender. That meant a return to the Bank to be melted down and then re-coined. That usually happened beyond the condition of ‘fine’.  Young Victoria shields for example can still keep their numismatic value if under weight. It’s worth weighing all older sovereigns just in case…..

Anyway, just relax if you see minor weight discrepancies - just blame the RM! 

Re 1/4 oz gold, which equates to 7.77g, if yours is 7.80g then good for you!…..🙂

Edited by Britannia47

Here is my AMATEUR OPINION…

According to the Gazette Proclamations, there’s a permitted variation in several specifications of all coins, including the 1/4 Sovereign.

Here’s one for the Sovereign range:

QUARTER-SOVEREIGN GOLD COIN

5. (1) A new coin of gold of the denomination of quarter-sovereign shall be made, being a coin of a standard weight of 1.997 grammes, a standard diameter of 13.5 millimetres, a millesimal fineness of 916.7 and being circular in shape.

(2) In the making of the said gold coin a remedy (that is, a variation from the standard weight, diameter or fineness specified above) shall be allowed of an amount not exceeding the following, that is to say:

(a) a variation from the said standard weight of an amount per coin of 0.012 grammes;

(b) a variation from the said standard diameter of 0.125 millimetres per coin; and

(c) a variation from the said millesimal fineness of two per mille.

(3) The variation from the standard weight will be measured as the average of a sample of not more than one kilogram of the coin.

(4) The least current weight of the said gold coin shall be 1.98 grammes.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/4300446

It would seem to me that the variation in weight that you so keenly noticed is within the permitted range.

Different teams, different marketing .. they don’t talk to each other. Bullion team goes to 2 DP but rounds down as minimum gold quantity. Proof team does it right.
Are the blanks even different before prep? 
interesting pick up though. 

Aaaahhh😉

As per the proclamation…. if a coin is within those figures then no issue. Try weighing a few of each type🤔