• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Italian gold coin ?

Good evening, 

As above I am trying to identify a very small gold coin in my stack as shown below:

thumbnail_IMG_2788.jpg.9a5ea4629e5244f82c0fe9e81327bd95.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2787.jpg.ad74b44ad9d99c89fa58136628472a58.jpg

Sovereign used for scale, 

All I have been able to gleam is the date 1918 and similar coins where struck in Eritrea but much larger and silver essentially a Thaler. 

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated 

Thank you for reading.

Regards,

SS

Edited by sterlingstacker

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CollectForFun said:

Is this the close-up of the actual small gold coin please, or just a pic of the standard silver thaler version of the coin used for illustration?

The latter, I am just out a the moment and will post better pics of both sides when I get back.

Edited by sterlingstacker

Thanks, I was mainly wondering if such signs of circulation are on your coin, as that would be surprising. It's indeed an interesting coin, I've never seen such gold version of this coin yet. Do you remember where you acquired it from?

My first guess is that it's one of those modern miniature gold reproductions of famous historic coins (or else you have something quite unique 🙂). As I said, I'm not aware such coin originally existed - there was no reason nor use for it. Also, a gold coin of such a small size would be extremely unusual for early 20th century Europe.

The silver version of the coin was produced as an equivalent of Maria Theresia taler. Here is a short summary of the background of its production (as well of its predecessor): https://en.sewasew.com/p/tallero-eritreo. In brief, Italians were not very successful with any of their versions, due to which the next time they had expansion plans in Eritrea, they borrowed actual Maria Theresia taler dies from Austrians and started minting them in Rome in mid-30s...