• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hi all,

I have a ridiculous amount of old GB coins and my plan is when I am having a bit of a bad time (occasionally need to spend 2/3 days in bed at a time).  To help keep my sanity ( or loose the little I have left) I was wanting to go through them to see if there was any scare ones in there.

Problem is I have no idea what the semi/key dates are.

Has anyone come across a cheat sheet that I can reference for the different denominations.  I have found loads of options for USA but haven't been able to find one for GB.

All the best,

Chris.

I find this site useful for UK predecimal coins.  It will give you a decent indication of which coins are worth looking out for.  

There's a page for each denomination, which then shows the information by monarch and date.

Take the prices as a guide rather than being the truth, but at least it gives a good relative idea.

https://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/values/

40 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I find this site useful for UK predecimal coins.  It will give you a decent indication of which coins are worth looking out for.  

There's a page for each denomination, which then shows the information by monarch and date.

Take the prices as a guide rather than being the truth, but at least it gives a good relative idea.

https://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/values/

Bookmarked…thanks for the link mate 👍🏻

On 29/03/2024 at 19:03, chris2982 said:

Hi all,

I have a ridiculous amount of old GB coins and my plan is when I am having a bit of a bad time (occasionally need to spend 2/3 days in bed at a time).  To help keep my sanity ( or loose the little I have left) I was wanting to go through them to see if there was any scare ones in there.

Problem is I have no idea what the semi/key dates are.

Has anyone come across a cheat sheet that I can reference for the different denominations.  I have found loads of options for USA but haven't been able to find one for GB.

All the best,

Chris.

Hi Chris, most of the Victorian coins worths some money, also Edward VII halfcrown and Florin.  This is only a brief statement, for details, you may also refer to the site on top of that mentioned by Stuntman, www.allcoinvalues.com.  Also auction results of London Coins, Spink etc. will be helpful, however the precise value will depend on date, die and quality of the coin.  You may also post some pics here and see if someone may give further ideas towards it.

Thanks for the info guys, will definitely check out the sites you have mentioned.

I have pretty much separated the majority into denomination and monarch, I may end up breaking them down into years next, should take a while but it can be very therapeutic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2024 at 18:11, arphethean said:

https://www.predecimal.com/key_dates

Is good

If you prefer to offload the lot I buy any predecimal coins including base metal and copper at £4/kg. Only exception is brass threepences.

Missed this reply somehow.  Thanks for the link 👍

Not looking to get rid at the moment, I would miss out on the countless hours spent keeping my brain active while incapacitated.  I will definitely bare you in mind for when the time comes.

All th best,

Chris.