• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

We have Canon equipment - one of the prime lenses an EF 28-70 2.8 L Zoom seems to have developed a haze on the photos.

The lens has been stored properly at room temperature along with all the other lenses, when it was last used a couple of years ago it was fine, but it has developed this haze, it looks like the photos has been taken on a slightly misty day. There is no fungus.

We have put it in the airing cupboard and in the sunshine, but it hasn’t improved.

Any ideas, or can the misting be removed with photoshop or similar?

Thank you chaps.

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).

9 hours ago, Petra said:

If hazy could be coming from the helicoil or aperture lubricant. …. evaporation due to being left in a hot warm place or by fungus😮🤔

Thank you P. I will pass the info on to Mr.A🖖

21 hours ago, Aldebaran said:

We have Canon equipment - one of the prime lenses an EF 28-70 2.8 L Zoom seems to have developed a haze on the photos.

The lens has been stored properly at room temperature along with all the other lenses, when it was last used a couple of years ago it was fine, but it has developed this haze, it looks like the photos has been taken on a slightly misty day. There is no fungus.

We have put it in the airing cupboard and in the sunshine, but it hasn’t improved.

Any ideas, or can the misting be removed with photoshop or similar?

Thank you chaps.

Hi.  Sorry, it's been a busy day.

I probably have bad news for you.  Firstly, you should get it checked by a proper camera shop anyway.  But be prepared.

Possible causes of hazing:

1. The 28-70 didn't have proper weather sealing, so it might be moisture trapped inside the lens.  Doesn't sound like that though, by your description of how it has been stored.
  2. The oil on the helicoid could have evaporated and deposited on the inside of the lens.  Seems unlikely, but would still require dismantling and an expensive clean.
  3. (Most likely) Unfortunately, the 28-70 has a notorious problem.  There is a compound element inside (two separate pieces of glass glued together to form a single 'lens').  The glue they used denatures over time, and becomes hazy.

Basically, if the latter has happened, and I suspect that is exactly the case, it is probably not financially viable to repair the lens, as the work required and/or spare parts, would be very expensive.

Best case, it's going to be £200-300 service.  Worst case, it's written off after £50-100 investigation.

Sorry.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

10 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

I probably have bad news for you.  Firstly, you should get it checked by a proper camera shop anyway.  But be prepared.

1. The 28-70 didn't have proper weather sealing, so it might be moisture trapped inside the lens.  Doesn't sound like that though, by your description of how it has been stored.
  2. The oil on the helicoid could have evaporated and deposited on the inside of the lens.  Seems unlikely, but would still require dismantling and an expensive clean.
  3. (Most likely) Unfortunately, the 28-70 has a notorious problem.  There is a compound element inside (two separate pieces of glass glued together to form a single 'lens').  The glue they used denatures over time, and becomes hazy.

Basically, if the latter has happened, and I suspect that is exactly the case, it is probably not financially viable to repair the lens, as the work required and/or spare parts, would be very expensive.

Best case, it's going to be £200-300 service.  Worst case, it's written off after £50-100 investigation.

Sorry.

Sad news

1 hour ago, Charliemouse said:

Sorry.

55 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Sad news

Thank you - that is a real b*****d 😑

Poor old Mr A, it was his favourite lens and it cost a fortune. 

But, thank you for your help, we guessed it was something terminal because it had been kept in proper conditions.

I think I see that you have mentioned me on the NBS, how nice - I shall see you there later🥰

1 hour ago, Aldebaran said:

Thank you - that is a real b*****d 😑

Poor old Mr A, it was his favourite lens and it cost a fortune. 

But, thank you for your help, we guessed it was something terminal because it had been kept in proper conditions.

I think I see that you have mentioned me on the NBS, how nice - I shall see you there later🥰

Yeah, it's a good lens, and was a great lens when it came out.  You can get that exact model second hand for around £400 I noticed.  But the equivalent to that as a modern Canon lens is something like £2000.

If you want to replace it with something similar, let me know and I can recommend third party lenses that will be a lot cheaper.

Edited by Charliemouse

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

Thanks for all your advice, it has been really helpful.

I’m not sure whether Mr A will replace it as he hasn’t taken many photos over the past few years.

Just now, Aldebaran said:

Thanks for all your advice, it has been really helpful.

I’m not sure whether Mr A will replace it as he hasn’t taken many photos over the past few years.

Have a Google, can’t remember the name of the site, however there is one or two good places for getting quality used camera kit at reasonable prices🤔

3 minutes ago, Petra said:

Have a Google, can’t remember the name of the site, however there is one or two good places for getting quality used camera kit at reasonable prices🤔

MPB is the best known in UK.

e.g.  Used Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM | MPB

If you do decide to replace it, I honestly wouldn't recommend getting the same lens, as it will probably just have the same problem in a few years time (if not sooner).

1 minute ago, Charliemouse said:

If you do decide to replace it, I honestly wouldn't recommend getting the same lens, as it will probably just have the same problem in a few years time (if not sooner).

👍😁that’s the one👍 long time since I bought from there🤔

3 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Just to back that up, I looked at several 28-70s on MPB, and they all said "some moisture inside", which I suspect is really the glue issue I described.  It's a common problem sadly, that only appears about 10-15 years after the lens was made.

10 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

10 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

Just to back that up, I looked at several 28-70s on MPB, and they all said "some moisture inside", which I suspect is really the glue issue I described.  It's a common problem sadly, that only appears about 10-15 years after the lens was made.

Thank you @Charliemouse, we felt the same regarding replacement, it would be going down the same road.

Thanks for the link, the pre-owned II would be a better bet 🖖

1 minute ago, Aldebaran said:

Thank you @Charliemouse, we felt the same regarding replacement, it would be going down the same road.

Thanks for the link, the pre-owned II would be a better bet 🖖

Do consider third party lenses, such as Sigma and Tamron. They are significantly better value and sometimes even exceed Canon for image quality and features.

Thank you both, I know that he has had Sigma in the past and was really pleased with the quality.

His allegiance with Canon sprang from his A1 with motor drive decades ago!!

57 minutes ago, Aldebaran said:

Thank you both, I know that he has had Sigma in the past and was really pleased with the quality.

His allegiance with Canon sprang from his A1 with motor drive decades ago!!

I learned photography with a Canon AE-1, back in medieval times.  A motor drive would have been a dream.  😁

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use