• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1902 Quintuple Sovereign. Proof Or Not?

I think it's probably the matte finish version of the 1902 quintuple.  I think there was a non-matte currency (bullion) version and also this matte version, which (again I think) was described as proof.

You can certainly get non-proof matte finish coins; the modern quintuple from 2019 onwards also comes as a matte finish brilliant uncirculated coin, not a proof.

The currency version of the 1902 seems to command a higher value than the matte.

A lot of the 1902 matte proof silver coins were 'wiped' at the Royal Mint and this may have been what happened to your coin here.  So it might not have been cleaned post-mint, the 'cleaning' may have occurred at the RM.

Looks a nice coin in the second set of photos.  Definitely would be one to evaluate in-hand if I was thinking of buying (which I'm not).

Good luck with the sale.  

Edited by Stuntman
clarity about the modern quintuples (there are also proofs in the sets of course!)

10 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I think it's probably the matte finish version of the 1902 quintuple.  I think there was a non-matte currency (bullion) version and also this matte version, which (again I think) was described as proof.

You can certainly get non-proof matte finish coins; the modern quintuple from 2019 onwards also comes as a matte finish brilliant uncirculated coin, not a proof.

The currency version of the 1902 seems to command a higher value than the matte.

A lot of the 1902 matte proof silver coins were 'wiped' at the Royal Mint and this may have been what happened to your coin here.  So it might not have been cleaned post-mint, the 'cleaning' may have occurred at the RM.

Looks a nice coin in the second set of photos.  Definitely would be one to evaluate in-hand if I was thinking of buying (which I'm not).

Good luck with the sale.  

Thank you for your response and have a blessed weekend 🙏

5 hours ago, refero said:

1902 coronations are matte not proof

https://lifestyle.royalmint.com/sovereign/all/1902-Edward-VII-Matt-Proof-5-Sovereign/

Yes, ‘proofs’ normally have a frosted relief and a mirrored field, but the 1902 Coronation ‘Long set’ of 13 coins of matte proofs was an exception, from which this Quintuplet was probably taken from…..

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

Found more information:

Courtesy of Chards, and a very old catalogue! which explains why you would not expect to see a proof like this today….

IMG_0320.jpeg

IMG_0322.jpeg

Thank you again 🙏

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

Found more information:

Courtesy of Chards, and a very old catalogue! which explains why you would not expect to see a proof like this today….

IMG_0320.jpeg

IMG_0322.jpeg

By the way, when you say you “not expect”, you mean because they were all part of sets?