• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bartering with Silver

Hi guys

We are all stacking I presume for the SHTF moment, but has anyone thought of what happens after it does?

Does anyone know about where or use barter to buy stuff, I think they do in the USA but this is for the U.K. would be interesting to know who and where we can spend our stacks when the SHTF. Gold too of course but you can't buy a lettuce with a gold coin can you...... LOL. Depends on the size of the lettuce too I suppose.

31 minutes ago, Beanyman said:

Hi guys

We are all stacking I presume for the SHTF moment, but has anyone thought of what happens after it does?

Does anyone know about where or use barter to buy stuff, I think they do in the USA but this is for the U.K. would be interesting to know who and where we can spend our stacks when the SHTF. Gold too of course but you can't buy a lettuce with a gold coin can you...... LOL. Depends on the size of the lettuce too I suppose.

Call round to my allotment with some gold coins/bars, sure we can do a deal! …. No silver!🤔😮🥕🥕

3 hours ago, Beanyman said:

Hi guys

TBH I think bartering with silver or gold is probably a bit of a fantasy. Silver, maybe at a push: but only for certain things, and probably not for your daily or weekly shop.I can't imagine Aldi or Lidl ever accepting a handful of silver Brits or a half sov in exchange for a trolley load of shopping.  I just don't see it. Who would be brave enough in such a scenario to dig out a handful of PMs from their pocket anyway..?  You would be robbed at gun or knife point in seconds.  As @AaaGee asks above (I presume rhetorically..?)  what is SHTF..?  It can be anything at all which upsets the equilibrium of life, but for all of us I suspect it will be CBDC above all else, but with other lesser alternative possibilities like somekind of civil insurrection or a series of domestic terror events.   It may of course be from natural causes such as a solar flare or a massive volcanic or tectonic event, but my gut instinct tells me the greatest likelihood is that it will be man made and instigated by the state against the little folk.  Barter, if it ever becomes a thing, will be more likely to be on a like for like basis in terms of perceived value - like a packet of fags or a bar of dairy milk for a 6 pack of razor blades and such, or a bottle of whisky for a tank of fuel for your car, that kind of thing. But silver and gold..?   What practical use or value would either of them have in a full on, hard routine, survival scenario.  I suspect little to none at all.

Edited by flyingveepixie

2 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

TBH I think bartering with silver or gold is probably a bit of a fantasy. Silver, maybe at a push: but only for certain things, and probably not for your daily or weekly shop.I can't imagine Aldi or Lidl ever accepting a handful of silver Brits or a half sov in exchange for a trolley load of shopping.  I just don't see it.  As @AaaGee asks above (I presume rhetorically..?)  what is SHTF..?  It can be anything at all which upsets the equilibrium of life, but for all of us I suspect it will be CBDC above all else, but with other lesser alternative possibilities like somekind of civil insurrection or a series of domestic terror events.   It may of course be from natural causes such as a solar flare or a massive volcanic or tectonic event, but my gut instinct tells me the greatest likelihood is that it will be man made and instigated by the state against the little folk.  Barter, if it ever becomes a thing, will be more likely to be on a like for like basis in terms of perceived value - like a packet of fags or a bar of dairy milk for a 6 pack of razor blades and such, or a bottle of whisky for a tank of fuel for your car, that kind of thing. But silver and gold..?   What practical use or value would either of them have in a full on, hard routine, survival scenario.  I suspect little to none at all.

If you get to the stage of bartering gold and silver for stuff, maybe Aldi, Lidl etc. may not be open!🤔😮

It's always down to individuals finding an arrangement which suits both parties with barter trading and we've not seen a lot I know of.

I took a watch as part payment for a car a few years ago, then sold that watch (and others) during the covid watch price spike. 

It just takes 2 willing parties and may or may not involve precious metals. 

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

4 minutes ago, Coverte said:

It's always down to individuals finding an arrangement which suits both parties with barter trading and we've not seen a lot I know of.

I took a watch as part payment for a car a few years ago, then sold that watch (and others) during the covid watch price spike. 

It just takes 2 willing parties and may or may not involve precious metals. 

Indeed.  I swapped a 12 string guitar for an old amp one time. I had the amp for sale and a guy rang me up and asked if I would be interested in his guitar as a straight swap and we did the deal.  I've done a few other similar deals over the years. But always Like for like as I suggested above.  People even do it on here in the buy and sell section...

Edited by flyingveepixie

22 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

What is SHTF? 

What is the end of the world you speak of.

Just get a decent amount of cash money around you and use that, surely.

Well "s**** hits the fan"  scenario cash will be gone no more money. 

Edited by Beanyman

I paid for my boiler to be serviced with 2 silver brits a couple of years ago. We were both happy with the deal.

Imagine going to the shop and trying to buy a loaf of bread for £1.30 using a sovereign with the face value £1 and being refused lol

14 minutes ago, Petra said:

Call round to my allotment with some gold coins/bars, sure we can do a deal! …. No silver!🤔😮🥕🥕

Got my own allotment I'm afraid Prepper

3 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Yeah me too, likely it would be raided at the first sign of food shortage though..🤔

I'm a bit far away from civilization hopefully, everyone has a plot here, plus lots of guns where I am . I'm sure most people wouldn't risk a bit of lead for some veggies.

17 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

TBH I think bartering with silver or gold is probably a bit of a fantasy. Silver, maybe at a push: but only for certain things, and probably not for your daily or weekly shop.I can't imagine Aldi or Lidl ever accepting a handful of silver Brits or a half sov in exchange for a trolley load of shopping.  I just don't see it. Who would be brave enough in such a scenario to dig out a handful of PMs from their pocket..?  You would be robbed at gun or knife point in seconds.  As @AaaGee asks above (I presume rhetorically..?)  what is SHTF..?  It can be anything at all which upsets the equilibrium of life, but for all of us I suspect it will be CBDC above all else, but with other lesser alternative possibilities like somekind of civil insurrection or a series of domestic terror events.   It may of course be from natural causes such as a solar flare or a massive volcanic or tectonic event, but my gut instinct tells me the greatest likelihood is that it will be man made and instigated by the state against the little folk.  Barter, if it ever becomes a thing, will be more likely to be on a like for like basis in terms of perceived value - like a packet of fags or a bar of dairy milk for a 6 pack of razor blades and such, or a bottle of whisky for a tank of fuel for your car, that kind of thing. But silver and gold..?   What practical use or value would either of them have in a full on, hard routine, survival scenario.  I suspect little to none at all.

Barter is barter albeit cabbages, carrots, gold or silver,

25 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

I fixed a Windows Server in a dental practise, got a check up and a few long-overdue fillings in payment :) 

I need some dental work, but my dentist's PCs are all working fine at the moment. was it windows 2000 server

41 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

That'll do!

That's just to buy a tin of beans

1 minute ago, Beanyman said:

I need some dental work, but my dentist's PCs are all working fine at the moment. was it windows 2000 server

That's just to buy a tin of beans

And a silver brit for the bread.