• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I have acquired an 1890 Carson City Morgan Dollar that I think is a replica/fake. Any thoughts are welcome.

I have acquired an 1890 Carson City Morgan Dollar that I think is a replica/fake. Any thoughts/opinions/comments are welcome.

The images are of the coin in question.

It just doesn't look and feel right. I haven't done any type of silver testing as of yet.

It weighs 26.53g (0.2g off the stated weight) The thickness and diameter with non-digital calipers seems good.

I know it is hard to tell from images alone but is there anything I should be looking for on this coin to help me decide if it's a fake.

IMG_1612.JPEG

IMG_1613.JPEG

IMG_1614.JPEG

IMG_1615.JPEG

Im with you that it looks a bit off.  

- Rim and denticles 

- Overall tone (although this is subjective based on the photos)

- Liberty’s ear lobe

- Corn sprigs in Liberties hair

- Possibly a pop mark close to Liberty’s lips

- Some of the eagles feathers don’t look right - top left tip of the eagles wing as an example

You are right to be cautious it’s the rarest of the 1890 Morgan’s with a mintage of around 2M.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Thanks @dicker. It’s quite a pickle. Looking just good enough to be genuine while providing a small amount of doubt. If this works out to be a replica it is a good one.

26 minutes ago, entsor said:

Thanks @dicker. It’s quite a pickle. Looking just good enough to be genuine while providing a small amount of doubt. If this works out to be a replica it is a good one.

Personally, I would not buy this coin because of the red flags above.  Sorry, I should have said that in my reply above.  

image.thumb.png.1439b4b195384ecde118843582656d1d.png

90% silver, rest copper - should be easy to verify this with a Sigma pro

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

13 minutes ago, entsor said:

I'm happy to send this to someone who is willing to test it.

Grading may be the best conclusive way to do so.

9 hours ago, dicker said:

Grading may be the best conclusive way to do so.

If he’s lost money on a potential fake the last thing he would want to do is blow more money at NGC confirming it, he’s best sending it for cheap postage to get checked with a sigma by someone on here no?

4 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

If he’s lost money on a potential fake the last thing he would want to do is blow more money at NGC confirming it, he’s best sending it for cheap postage to get checked with a sigma by someone on here no?

Fortunately no money lost, this came as part of collection that I paid very little for. I wouldn’t go for grading on this coin, however getting it Sigma tested would be nice to know the composition.

51 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

If you can provide the reference genuine composition of a genuine 1890 CC that would be useful for Entsor to compare against…..

13 minutes ago, dicker said:

If you can provide the reference genuine composition of a genuine 1890 CC that would be useful for Entsor to compare against…..

@JohnA1 post indicates 90% Ag, 10% Cu

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

Just now, Petra said:

If the measurements were correct then be interesting to see what it’s made of?🤔

The the dimensions and weight within spec so my bet is 90% Silver 😁

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

Just now, Petra said:

So what’s up with it?🤔

You tell me? @entsor have you tried an app based ping test? 

Good idea. If it passes the app-based ping test (all three resonance frequencies) then it's unlikely to be fake.

Well, it could still be a fake using the original composition, but the silver content will be there. Numismatic value - who knows eh

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

8 minutes ago, entsor said:

I used the App for ping testing, and it says it's "bad". Tried like 20 times to make sure, so not looking great. Would still like to send it for sigma testing to fire the final nail in the coffin.

If someone with a sigma pro is happy to test for you then why not, would definitely be interesting. I have a regular sigma but not sure it will reveal enough info.