• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Sellers

So this is a question to the old hats here regarding buying on the forum.

So far I have only bought off those that have been members for some time and have a good history of trading feedback.  

Whats everyone’s opinion on a new member selling after only posting a couple of posts and with zero trading history buying or selling?

what happens if it all goes wrong? Is it money down the drain and lessons learnt or have we got some form of clawback when a sale goes wrong?

No shade intended on any current sales but it is something I have given some thought against.

Edited by SovereignBull
Spelling

ThankYou I had wondered & that’s a good way of going about it. I won’t be parting with anything soon and by the time I may sell something I’m pretty sure everyone on here will know my home address from all the buying I will have done! 🤣

22 minutes ago, SovereignBull said:

ThankYou I had wondered & that’s a good way of going about it. I won’t be parting with anything soon and by the time I may sell something I’m pretty sure everyone on here will know my home address from all the buying I will have done! 🤣

No worries bud.
It won’t matter how much you buy, you will still be asked to send before payment on first few sales 👍🏽

1 hour ago, SovereignBull said:

So far I have only bought off those that have been members for some time and have a good history of trading feedback.  

Whats everyone’s opinion on a new member selling after only posting a couple of posts and with zero trading history buying or selling?

what happens if it all goes wrong? Is it money down the drain and lessons learnt or have we got some form of clawback when a sale goes wrong?

No shade intended on any current sales but it is something I have given some thought against.

You are doing the right thing. I see you have posted a few times and getting involved, that's a good start. Perhaps start off with selling a few small items (less than a hundred quid), then build up from there. The forum has been a little less active from when I first joined and was a little easier (I think) to start selling. As for risk of it going wrong? Much the same as Facebook, just a peer to peer transaction, the only issue I have had is with the bank.

1 minute ago, Bigmarc said:

You are doing the right thing. I see you have posted a few times and getting involved, that's a good start. Perhaps start off with selling a few small items (less than a hundred quid), then build up from there. The forum has been a little less active from when I first joined and was a little easier (I think) to start selling. As for risk of it going wrong? Much the same as Facebook, just a peer to peer transaction, the only issue I have had is with the bank.

Yeah only problem is I love the shiny metal! I can’t see myself selling anything anytime soon but never say never I guess!

2 minutes ago, SovereignBull said:

Yeah only problem is I love the shiny metal! I can’t see myself selling anything anytime soon but never say never I guess!

Oh, so you are looking to buy off a new member? Same, I would risk it if it was less than £100 but if you are only saving yourself a fiver by not going through a dealer then I wouldn't bother.

6 minutes ago, SovereignBull said:

Plenty of variety of shiney on here, you'll be buying stuff soon you never knew existed 😀 

6 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Oh, so you are looking to buy off a new member? Same, I would risk it if it was less than £100 but if you are only saving yourself a fiver by not going through a dealer then I wouldn't bother.

Bought up on the forum until end of Jan but did notice a listing off a new member who had just joined and was just interested of the general rule when buying off a new member & what protection we had

6 minutes ago, SovereignBull said:

Bought up on the forum until end of Jan but did notice a listing off a new member who had just joined and was just interested of the general rule when buying off a new member & what protection we had

Ok. No protection, same as Facebook, auto trader and right move. Just provide the platform but you may have protection with the business sellers. You can filter the for sales posts in the drop-down box. 

18 hours ago, SovereignBull said:

I have bought from new members. most I have paid on receipt but a couple of times I have taken the chance, both times the member had purchased a paid membership and had been vouched for by an established member I trusted

I have also bought from someone with very low feedback and paid up front as they had been a paid member on here a long time and were active but had just never sold

18 hours ago, SovereignBull said:

I am in the same boat 😄 

Agreed with the above. 

The forum works on a lot of trust, and there really isn’t a way to short cut this.

My tips

1. Be an active member.  Ask questions, contribute to discussions etc.  People here are friendly and will answer questions without being rude.  

2. Buy from trusted members. Those with tenure, trading feedback and good reputation and make sure you get feedback. 

3. If selling, offer to post the goods first then receive payment.

4.  As a buyer or seller - deal quickly.  That’s means pay quickly if you are buying or send quickly if selling - with tracking number supplied as soon as you have posted.

5. Personally, I don’t want any hassle if selling so would always include SD in the price.  I want to be insured with secure delivery for both myself and anyone I do business with.  

6. If a deal is a larger size consider using an intermediary such as BYB.

7. Be a good citizen and always leave feedback!

8. If you are thinking of selling something and are not 100% sure it is genuine - just ask on the forum, with pics before you advertise.  Marks you out as honest and you won’t get into a mess.

9. If selling - good pics of the coin (both sides) not in a flip / case. A description with a price. Call out any defects / issues.  It really helps buyer to state how you can take payment  (PPFF, BT etc)

It’s a great place to buy and sell, and I have had only super positive experiences with people I have dealt with.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys