• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Half, Full or Double Sovereigns...

Kitalon

21 minutes ago, Kitalon said:

I've found a seller who's selling a box set of three sovereigns; a full sovereign, half and quarter for £550. That to me looks like a good deal!

Unless it’s on here, and even if it was, I’d hold fire until you know exactly what you want buy. There is no rush. A full bullion sovereign of no special year will be about £385 give or take 10 for spot changes. I don’t buy halves or quarters so others may know if it’s a good price. Imho the only real sovereigns come from the Royal mint btw. All others are not sovereigns. Anyone can mint a coin and call it a sovereign. But when 99% of people call a sovereign a sovereign they mean royal mint sovereigns only. 

Aaaahhh😉

Just now, Agaupl said:

Unless it’s on here, and even if it was, I’d hold fire until you know exactly what you want buy. There is no rush. A full bullion sovereign of no special year will be about £385 give or take 10 for spot changes. I don’t buy halves or quarters so others may know if it’s a good price. Imho the only real sovereigns come from the Royal mint btw. All others are not sovereigns. Anyone can mint a coin and call it a sovereign. But when 99% of people call a sovereign a sovereign they mean royal mint sovereigns only. 

Given it's one, half and quarter, not one, half, quarter, eighth and WORLD'S FIRST sixteenth, they're probably Royal Mint sovereigns

Just saying...

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

30 minutes ago, Kitalon said:

I've found a seller who's selling a box set of three sovereigns; a full sovereign, half and quarter for £550. That to me looks like a good deal!

Certainly seems a good deal

Yep. It's bonefide Royal Mint. I worked out that it's roughly £660 for the spot value of all 3, although my book tells me it's worth £575 (granted prices have changed since publication). It's an old advert so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it hasn't already been snapped up. I think it would be a good way to become more familiar with the different denominations (if that's what you can call it).

6 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Given it's one, half and quarter, not one, half, quarter, eighth and WORLD'S FIRST sixteenth, they're probably Royal Mint sovereigns

Just saying...

I have no idea what a half or quarter Royal mint sov goes for either tbh🤣. Not saying they are bad buys just that I don’t personally buy them somdont know the going price. 
But yeah those ‘special’ sizes are a a dead give away. 

having said that I do have some ‘island’ coins that I really love… EIC St Helena’s for instance have some nice designs. But I buy them as I love the design not because I think I’d ever be able to sell them at a profit. 
if you buy a design you love you’re much less likely to regret it. 

Aaaahhh😉

2 minutes ago, Kitalon said:

Yep. It's bonefide Royal Mint. I worked out that it's roughly £660 for the spot value of all 3, although my book tells me it's worth £575 (granted prices have changed since publication). It's an old advert so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it hasn't already been snapped up. I think it would be a good way to become more familiar with the different denominations (if that's what you can call it).

Work on %age above spot and make sure you get the gold content correct for the different coins and go from there.  But no rush!
Unless I’m selling to you and then you need to buy asap of course!🤣

Aaaahhh😉

4 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

I have no idea what a half or quarter Royal mint sov goes for either tbh🤣. Not saying they are bad buys just that I don’t personally buy them somdont know the going price. 
But yeah those ‘special’ sizes are a a dead give away. 

having said that I do have some ‘island’ coins that I really love… EIC St Helena’s for instance have some nice designs. But I buy them as I love the design not because I think I’d ever be able to sell them at a profit. 

I've got one EIC Gillick and one Alderney gothic crown "sovereigns" as well. EIC makes some quality coins (I wish I could own that diamond covered Jubilee coin). Not that you are likely to get your money back, but they're visually appealing and sometimes come in better quality than the RM outputs. The Alderney GC has a Jody Clark gothic portrait which is unique, and I bought it at near spot.

The other weird stuff from Hattons of London et co are a whole new level though...

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Just now, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I've got one EIC Gillick and one Alderney gothic crown "sovereigns" as well. EIC makes some quality coins. Not that you are likely to get your money back, but they're visually appealing and sometimes come in better quality than the RM outputs. The Alderney GC has a Jody Clark gothic portrait which is unique, and I bought it at near spot.

The other weird stuff from Hattons of London et co are a whole new level though...

Who mints the EIC coins because they are pretty nice if you get them at the right price? I think I tried to look once but gave up. 

Aaaahhh😉

1 minute ago, Agaupl said:

Who mints the EIC coins because they are pretty nice if you get them at the right price? I think I tried to look once but gave up. 

Royal Mint maybe? I heard that Royal Mint did make coins for EIC at some point (not the 1700s), but I'm not sure if they still do. RM also made coins for Saudi and Oman in the 50/60s.

Or it could be some Australian mints I suppose? 

Pobjoy is closed. Tower Mint works for Hattons and something. The Alderney sovereign probably came from the Commonwealth Mint to be honest.

2 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Royal Mint maybe? I heard that Royal Mint did make coins for EIC at some point (not the 1700s), but I'm not sure if they still do. RM also made coins for Saudi and Oman in the 50/60s.

Or it could be some Australian mints I suppose? 

Pobjoy is closed. Tower Mint works for Hattons and something. The Alderney sovereign probably came from the Commonwealth Mint to be honest.

I don’t know. I somehow doubt Australian. 

Queens virtues were great. Wyons George and dragon. Other wyon designs obviously were great. 
I just hope they drop that god awful KCIII portrait. It’s truely terrible 

Aaaahhh😉

21 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

I'm totally onboard with that and I've now started keeping an eye out for designs and commemoratives from other British overseas territories, they seem to produce some really unique looking and pretty coins. Not just sovereigns but 50p and £2 too (but that's just my little hobby). I suppose I'm generally interested in collecting coins of our dear late-Queen Elizabeth II of whom there are many commemorative editions.

1 minute ago, Kitalon said:

I'm totally onboard with that and I've now started keeping an eye out for designs and commemoratives from other British overseas territories, they seem to produce some really unique looking and pretty coins. Not just sovereigns but 50p and £2 too (but that's just my little hobby). I suppose I'm generally interested in collecting coins of our dear late-Queen Elizabeth II of whom there are many commemorative editions.

If that’s what you like then go for it. .. but buy them next year when the price drops through the floor not now while the prices are still a bit high. Only very very few will increase in price from here.   

I personally love the Charles/Dianna and Andrew/Fergie wedding coins. Prices are great atm. 

Aaaahhh😉

39 minutes ago, Agaupl said:

I don’t know. I somehow doubt Australian. 

Queens virtues were great. Wyons George and dragon. Other wyon designs obviously were great. 
I just hope they drop that god awful KCIII portrait. It’s truely terrible 

I doubt they'll change portrait. All portraits will need to get the greenlight from the Palace. However, the Palace has always been very liberal with portraits. I'm thinking about the Canadian QEII portrait that looks like Hilary Clinton. The new Canadian portrait isn't too bad though. 

For me doubles are the best buy. The so called “perceived wisdom” is essentially do what everyone else is doing (buy singles). However the better value purchase is to buy doubles. My view is that doubles will appreciate better over time and I’m not one to buy the current trend, more look for the value proposition for the future. As said by others, you can appreciate the design much more on the doubles also and they generally are much rarer (lower mintage numbers). 

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

3 hours ago, 1817Karl said:

For me doubles are the best buy. The so called “perceived wisdom” is essentially do what everyone else is doing (buy singles). However the better value purchase is to buy doubles. My view is that doubles will appreciate better over time and I’m not one to buy the current trend, more look for the value proposition for the future. As said by others, you can appreciate the design much more on the doubles also and they generally are much rarer (lower mintage numbers). 

Another vote for doubles. Bullion versions going for lower % premiums at the moment which makes them a good buy if looking at gold content vs collectability. Not sure on the mintages of the newer bullion doubles but surely less than the full sov?

On 24/12/2023 at 17:10, cjbcomm said:

Not sure on the mintages of the newer bullion doubles but surely less than the full sov?

It would certainly seem that way. Purely as a thought exercise here are the mintages and approximate values (as of Aug'23) of the 2002 QEII Golden Jubilee full vs double sovereigns, and the full proof because the double is also a proof coin:

2002 QEII full, 74,263, £400
2002 QEII full proof, 20,500, £750
2002 QEII double proof, 8,000, £750

So the double (proof) appears to be better value for money. The question is would people rather the buy/sell x2 full sovereigns instead of a x1 double. Both seem like a good investment and will (probably) increase with time. At the end of the day it may be simpler and quicker to cash in the 1 coin rather than 2 for much the same value. I suppose it just comes down to personal preference. 🤔

17 hours ago, Kitalon said:

It would certainly seem that way. Purely as a thought exercise here are the mintages and approximate values (as of Aug'23) of the 2002 QEII Golden Jubilee full vs double sovereigns, and the full proof because the double is also a proof coin:

2002 QEII full, 74,263, £400
2002 QEII full proof, 20,500, £750
2002 QEII double proof, 8,000, £750

So the double (proof) appears to be better value for money. The question is would people rather the buy/sell x2 full sovereigns instead of a x1 double. Both seem like a good investment and will (probably) increase with time. At the end of the day it may be simpler and quicker to cash in the 1 coin rather than 2 for much the same value. I suppose it just comes down to personal preference. 🤔

Thanks for the info. If selling is an objective then fair enough. Looking at the bullion versions to stack so happy to hang onto them.

You pays your money and makes your choice 😁