• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Don't know how to start

Rhys

Hatton Garden Metals is usually the cheapest for gold bullion in the UK. The stock changes daily.

Buying from Europe is the cheapest for bulk buying silver, or for individual coins you will get good prices on the forum here.

For your initial budget you could maybe buy a gold sovereign and a few 1oz silver coins, see what you like the look/feel of and go from there.

Assuming one pays VAT to fund the NHS, the armies and the nukes that will keep us safe from an EU invasion in two years time... :P

I would say go for low premium gold if you intend to play medium term. Premium are usually smaller for 1 oz. tr. coins. Bars are better, but you will not go far with £300 a month, plus they are more cumbersome to flog.

Counterintuitive because it is cheaper per unit mass, but I would say: Silver for the pretty long term (to get back those 20% from the VAT). Like many I think, with time, silver has greater potential for wild upswings.

That being said, I usually buy things that I find nice to look at and hold in my hand; so I too get suckered by premiums (hello Queen's Beasts) anyway. :rolleyes:

Pretty obvious to say, but silver also allows you to have more coins to hold than gold.

In any case, try to clump together those £300 a month and take advantage of discounts for tubes and other deals such as  "mix and match" at Atkinsons and similarly tiered purchase elsewhere (Chards, etc.) as in the more you buy, the less you pay per unit. So again, £600-£1,000 batches would be better value if you can trust yourself to not spend those budding lump-sums.

16 hours ago, Rhys said:

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I might be buying some silver from Europe but thanks and as I flip them I'll try some gold maybe 

Just make sure that when buying from the continent, that you order is sufficient size to get best value for their shipping fee.

Hi Rhys welcome to the forum.  300 quid is a nice amount to start with, you should get quite a few coins with that.  Just get whatever you like the look of.  In time you'll kno which coins u like and which 1's u don't.

Well done on finding this site before you make your first purchase.  I didn't and ended up paying for over priced bullion from bullion by post.  You've avoided your first beginners mistake!! 

Enjoy your first delivery.  Its a great feeling having new coins to play with.  I hope you enjoy your new hobby as much as we do, but be warned it's additive!! 

Let us know what you get ?

Archived