• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How Easy is it to Liquidate Pt and Pd bars in Assay (Less than 1 oz)?

Hi there, I am building a periodic table display and two of the samples I am still targeting for the time being are a 1 oz Pt and Pd Valcambi Suisse (or maybe Credit Suisse (it depends)) Bars in Assay. However, I am worried about the price skyrocketing (for Pd and Pt) by the time I have saved up enough to buy each of the two bars. So in the meantime, I am going to buy a 10g Valcambi Suisse Pt bar as well as a 1/4 oz Baird Mint Pd bar. My question in the title is directly linked to this, as I want to know how easy (or hard) it would be to sell off the 10g Pt valcambi suisse bar and the 1/4 oz Baird mint Pd bar for a healthy profit (factoring in premium that I would charge over spot as dealers don't give favourable prices for buy backs IMO)? This is so that I can reinvest the profits in either other areas of my display that are missing pricey samples, or to make up the difference in funding for a full ounce bar for either a Pd or Pt bar.

If you have any suggestions of insight, please leave a comment as I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you for reading and thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Just make sure to keep the invoices and buy from a reputable source ( bairdmint.com is good) then when the time comes to sell, you will have little problems. 

Will do. I am just going to buy from wherever is the cheapest premium over spot for the Pt one (either gold.co.uk, bullionbypost, chards or atkinsons in all likelihood). I know how big each one is as I have made to scale replicas/placeholders so I have an accurate idea of scale before I buy them. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, CuriousCollector17 said:

Will do. I am just going to buy from wherever is the cheapest premium over spot for the Pt one (either gold.co.uk, bullionbypost, chards or atkinsons in all likelihood). I know how big each one is as I have made to scale replicas/placeholders so I have an accurate idea of scale before I buy them. Thanks!

I don't think gold.co.uk or bullionbypost.co.uk ( same company) will be cheapest, usually the most expensive dealer out there, check chards,baird or Atkinsons 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Bullion by post and it’s sister companies should be avoided unless you really can’t get it elsewhere. It’s not that they are not professional or poor quality products but priced at least 15% higher on everything.

These bars are volatile with spot prices and many dealers are not keen to want them back. You should be looking either here (not very often but a wanted post is recommended) or look for a used bar with ‘special’  VAT scheme from someone like Chards. This means you’ll only pay VAT on the profit the dealer has made. There’s 20% volatility saved on new.

They'll usually come in Assay, decent condition, from a reputable Mint and a receipt for resale.

I believe Platinum and Paladium are driven more for Industrial needs than investment. If Elon says he wants to use them in a project….buy hard.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

8 hours ago, NGMD said:

Bullion by post and it’s sister companies should be avoided unless you really can’t get it elsewhere. It’s not that they are not professional or poor quality products but priced at least 15% higher on everything.

These bars are volatile with spot prices and many dealers are not keen to want them back. You should be looking either here (not very often but a wanted post is recommended) or look for a used bar with ‘special’  VAT scheme from someone like Chards. This means you’ll only pay VAT on the profit the dealer has made. There’s 20% volatility saved on new.

They'll usually come in Assay, decent condition, from a reputable Mint and a receipt for resale.

I believe Platinum and Paladium are driven more for Industrial needs than investment. If Elon says he wants to use them in a project….buy hard.

I don’t see the whole going green thing for cars before 2050 as there are too many to replace so I strongly believe that platinum and palladium have a lot of room to climb back up after their fall. Just didn’t want to be stung by saving up for a full oz and then Pd and/or Pt does a mini rhodium and then I don’t have any at all for my display when I could have got it in the cheap.

8 hours ago, NGMD said:

I suppose another one of my concerns is that when not buying from an established dealer, I am worried about getting a fake as I don’t own a sigma metalytics precious metals verifier, and even if I did, the base model only penetrates a 1/4mm below the surface of the metal. An XRF would be ideal but there are no local coin shops I can visit in Scotland that would own one (that I am aware of). Shame, but I’m more looking to diversify my portfolio a little into physical PGMs as I have a decent Gold/Silver stack for now and am just looking for a decent sized bar to add to my periodic table display

On 13/09/2023 at 21:58, CuriousCollector17 said:

My question in the title is directly linked to this, as I want to know how easy (or hard) it would be to sell off the 10g Pt valcambi suisse bar and the 1/4 oz Baird mint Pd bar for a healthy profit (factoring in premium that I would charge over spot as dealers don't give favourable prices for buy backs IMO)?

I would have to say that a healthy profit would be near impossible and to break even could be difficult to achieve at best. TAX, margins and premiums from dealers will make any profit in the short or medium term impossible. A huge leap in spot price wouldn't help as you want to sell first then buy again.

The quick way is to buy outright first time with the least add ons.