• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 King Charles III gold sovereign - uneven rim

Hyperpyron

Hello everyone,

I would need your opinions on something.

Today I received a 2022 King Charles III gold sovereign, from a very reputable vendor (several big banks over here offer gold products from them).

Almost immediately I noticed that the rim is uneven. It is perhaps more apparent on the obverse:

1692962956864.jpg

1692962966370.jpg

I am slightly terrified that this is a fake... since according to some sources, this is a sign for something like that. E.g.: https://www.chards.co.uk/guides/fakes-forgeries-and-counterfeit-gold-coins-and-sovereigns/167

Q.: Have you ever seen an uneven rim like this on real sovereigns, especially recent ones? 

Thanks for your comments in advance!

Edited by Hyperpyron

On 28/08/2023 at 13:21, TheShinyStuff said:

Looks like the die has not hit the planchet dead centre. Probably doesn't qualify as an error and doesn't look great, if possible I'd ask for a replacement.

Unless grading it I would bother asking for a replacement, it's only bullion and worth it's gold value I would certainly ask for a replacement if it were proof finish. 

On 28/08/2023 at 13:21, TheShinyStuff said:

Looks like the die has not hit the planchet dead centre. Probably doesn't qualify as an error and doesn't look great, if possible I'd ask for a replacement.

Exactly! This will create problem if/when I will try to sale the coin. First, they might think it is a fake, second, they will try to buy it for less due to the defect.

I already asked for a replacement and they accepted my request. The whole process is somewhat troublesome, but no other option, I have to go through it...

I am a bit irritated, how someone can send a coin like this to a customer, hopping that he won't understand it/complain about it/etc. I am kind of certain they run a quality control upon reception of coins from the Royal Mint or other.

Apparently it is better to buy in person, where you have the ability to inspect the item yourself, but this is not easy (for me, I have to travel to the closest location paying more than post expenses, and pay more than the best price I can find online)

Thank you all for your responses, greatly appreciated! 

On 25/08/2023 at 12:40, Hyperpyron said:

Hello everyone,

I would need your opinions on something.

Today I received a 2022 King Charles III gold sovereign, from a very reputable vendor (several big banks over here offer gold products from them).

Almost immediately I noticed that the rim is uneven. It is perhaps more apparent on the obverse:

1692962956864.jpg

1692962966370.jpg

I am slightly terrified that this is a fake... since according to some sources, this is a sign for something like that. E.g.: https://www.chards.co.uk/guides/fakes-forgeries-and-counterfeit-gold-coins-and-sovereigns/167

Q.: Have you ever seen an uneven rim like this on real sovereigns, especially recent ones? 

Thanks for your comments in advance!

I don't think its fake but I do think its eww! I'd want another to satisfy my OCD. I don't have OCD but if I had that coin I would.

Edited by CazLikesCoins

This is a phenomenon which occurs when the planchette isn’t set properly during the minting process. As a result the pressure applied isn’t evenly distributed over the entire surface of the coin while being struck. The term for this type of striking error is referred to as Finning. When viewing the coin from the side you will also notice that the coin’s width isn’t consistent all the way around, being the thickest at the point where the raised edge occurs. There is nothing wrong with your coin. The US mint are notorious for having this minting problem. It’s a prevalent issue with their high relief proof gold coins. This flaw has no bearing on the outcome as it pertains to coin grading. Grading companies don’t consider it a flaw. If I were you I’d just keep it.

Edited by Ignorant

Guten Abend Herr Hyperpyron,

I am afraid my German is not up to much, so I will reply in English.

This problem seems to be not that uncommon on the 2022 Sovereign.  I have seen two on eBay (one of which the seller didn’t know was a problem).

Do many people in Germany buy Sovereigns - we don’t see so many on the forum.

I would keep this personally as it is a little unusual.

All the best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On 03/09/2023 at 19:27, dicker said:

Guten Abend Herr Hyperpyron,

I am afraid my German is not up to much, so I will reply in English.

This problem seems to be not that uncommon on the 2022 Sovereign.  I have seen two on eBay (one of which the seller didn’t know was a problem).

Do many people in Germany buy Sovereigns - we don’t see so many on the forum.

I would keep this personally as it is a little unusual.

All the best

Dicker

I love in Germany, I buy Sovereigns however I'm not German. I was wondering if you asking regarding if Germans buy Sovereigns. I know my local bullion dealer buys my bullion Sovereigns from me and sells them to other clients and more and more bullion dealers have started to stock more and more recently so there must be an increase in people buying them, however it'd not the easiest of places to buy bullion as they prefer cash or bank transfer and bring proof of the transfer if you do to make it easier for them to confirm purchase, unfortunately not many places accept card payment. 

Got a couple of Platinum Jubilee sovs with the same problem. The rims are so uneven that they can't even pass the slit of my sovereign scale. But they came from reputable dealers so likely real

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.