• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hoard of gold coins worth dating back to Henry VIII unearthed in Staffordshire

47 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Its one of the groups I am in, the daft bugger took them home and cleaned them before even showing them to the FLO

Wow….pretty poor form

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Just now, dicker said:

Wow….pretty poor form

He got over excited I suspect. 

Not as bad one dig I was on last year where someone found a vicky half sov and left it on the table by base for people to see and one of the diggers decided to clean it for him.  The air was blue.

2 minutes ago, Orpster said:

He got over excited I suspect. 

Not as bad one dig I was on last year where someone found a vicky half sov and left it on the table by base for people to see and one of the diggers decided to clean it for him.  The air was blue.

I have detected a while ago, had a few ok finds.  But the think that makes me deeply uncomfortable is people cleaning coins by rubbing them.  There was a YouTube video of a guy doing this on a noble he dug up - he was very very harsh.  I had to switch off.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

To be fair most hammered coins that come from hoards/finds will have been cleaned, for obvious reasons. It's not ideal when they get a thorough clean, but I sense the hammered collectors are a little more open minded with it.

I dabble in hammered coins quite frequently but I'm still a milled coin collector at heart so having cleaned (polished) hammered coins always hurts!

I was hoping the hoard would be bigger. It's great when new material comes into the market as the prices drop for a while until the market absorbs them all. I'd love a few Edward VI gold coins.

Edited by SidS