• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

sharing your worst experience

n1k0s

3 hours ago, Sovhead said:

If you hadn't checked and double checked it would have been as bent as a £9 note though. Extreme caution required on fleabay, they are less and less dealing with problems: not precious metal related but I am considering paying an unannounced visit to a seller to educate him via the sense of touch not to rip people off...

2 hours ago, MonkeysUncle said:

If you hadn't checked and double checked it would have been as bent as a £9 note though. Extreme caution required on fleabay, they are less and less dealing with problems: not precious metal related but I am considering paying an unannounced visit to a seller to educate him via the sense of touch not to rip people off...

EBay are a joke and don’t know what they’re doing at times.

I bought an 1853 shield back an absolutely beautiful coin and the seller sent the same year coin but it was a different coin to the one in the pictures on the listing….it was a little inferior albeit the one he sent was still a real beauty.

I started a return and the seller agreed, eBay messaged me to return the coin by 31st October (last year) I was doing some diy at home and was busy but mindful I only had 4 or so days left to return it only for them to send me another message saying the return had been closed in favour of the seller😳

I complained telling them they had ended the return prematurely and I had now lost out on my ability to return and they gave me a full refund for messing up and I got to keep the coin.

2 hours ago, Sovhead said:

EBay are a joke and don’t know what they’re doing at times.

I bought an 1853 shield back an absolutely beautiful coin and the seller sent the same year coin but it was a different coin to the one in the pictures on the listing….it was a little inferior albeit the one he sent was still a real beauty.

I started a return and the seller agreed, eBay messaged me to return the coin by 31st October (last year) I was doing some diy at home and was busy but mindful I only had 4 or so days left to return it only for them to send me another message saying the return had been closed in favour of the seller😳

I complained telling them they had ended the return prematurely and I had now lost out on my ability to return and they gave me a full refund for messing up and I got to keep the coin.

a kind of unintentional counter-scam ? :) 

1 minute ago, n1k0s said:

a kind of unintentional counter-scam ? :) 

I say I say that’s a slur 🤣

It was totally eBay’s fault, the seller got to keep my money it was eBay that forked out the refund themselves.

It was great to get an 1853 beautiful shield sov for £0 😍

• 2 weeks later...

some of your regrets

Not buying a 2019 Una and the Lion on release, I was busy with covid like symptoms after a trip to Switzerland where on the train down I shared a seat with someone who had just arrived from Wuhan of all places at the time I had known about covid through private channels as CCP censorship was trying to keep it out of the news. Anyway, I was ill during release day and could barely breathe let alone wake up at a decent time to pick a few up at retail price. 

- some of the scams

Avoiding scams more like, but got burned on a trial £1 coin when I thought I was bidding on a genuine trial coin it turned out to be a dud. That and someone on gumtree was begging me to swap a proof 1989 (since sold) for a questionable ship wreck Spanish gold coin, Needless to say that if it were real the Spanish gold coin would be worth far more than the proof 1989 sovereign, though I can't tell what kind of Spanish coin, all I had to go on was the word of the seller who wanted to do the swap. 

- some of the best decisions

Buying gold and silver pre 2000 and in general buying gold and silver coins

- coins you don't want anymore

I already Sold them. 

- trades that went wrong

Tried to swap one year 5 sovereign bunc matte for a different year 5 sovereign bunc matte. Was told it was worth melt price only and would have to pay a significant premium though offered to buy my coin for melt which I said no. I said if my coin is worth melt then his coin was worth melt using the same principle he used to low ball me on value and he seemed a little annoyed, while trying to use the old I need to make a profit statement on me, well guess what so do I so I wasn't impressed and walked away. 

Buying into the 2oz quartered arms hype, thinking it was going to be a big hit. Buying my initial coin for £800 from chards! Then buying two more subsequent coins off the forum for around £560 and £600 (was gutted because of my initiial purchase, but tbought these were a bargain!) Decided to grade both, managed to get a pf70 on the one, but aeound that time it was selling for no more than £350......now i see pf70s for less than RRP!

So silly, but lesson learnt.

1 hour ago, Bars said:

Buying into the 2oz quartered arms hype, thinking it was going to be a big hit. Buying my initial coin for £800 from chards! Then buying two more subsequent coins off the forum for around £560 and £600 (was gutted because of my initiial purchase, but tbought these were a bargain!) Decided to grade both, managed to get a pf70 on the one, but aeound that time it was selling for no more than £350......now i see pf70s for less than RRP!

So silly, but lesson learnt.

Wow that's how much they used to cost? They are beautiful coins and I want one but I'm too tight to buy one at today's prices, let alone 3x today's price 😢

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

I don't focus on any particular mistakes I've made as I have little doubt quite a few of early RM proofs I've not looked at for years will not return much, if any positive return on cost,

plus my phase of buying  1 kilo Australian I think hey were coins because of their beauty may be losers also, butit's all part of the learning curve we need to educate ourselves,

and both here, and in all fairness to them, @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer  can still be a good resource for information, along with here - they're at least much better at least than any other dealer I can think of.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

2 hours ago, HonestMoneyGoldSilver said:

Wow that's how much they used to cost? They are beautiful coins and I want one but I'm too tight to buy one at today's prices, let alone 3x today's price 😢

Soon after release they were going for crazy prices. If my memory serves me right i think i bought from britannia coin compnay as they were marginally cheaper but atill close to that price.