• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Imperfect proof coins. Where does one draw the line?

Ignorant

I recently took possession of a 2023 proof coronation half sovereign bought from a dealer. The coin has a few blemishes on the polished areas, no larger than specs hardly visible with the naked eye but there none the less under 10x magnification. Once seen they are hard to overlook. I’ve contacted the dealer which said they are unfortunately unable to replace it since they are all out of stock. On the plus side the coin sold for considerably less than retail. The dealer offered me store credit or to return it for a refund alternatively.

Where does one draw the line when it comes to proof coins. Will only perfection do? What would be reasonable compensation? Please share your thoughts and experiences. Any advice would be helpful.

Edited by Ignorant

13 minutes ago, Ignorant said:

I recently took possession of a 2023 proof coronation half sovereign bought from a dealer. The coin has a few blemishes on the polished areas, no larger than specs hardly visible with the naked eye but there none the less under 10x magnification. Once seen they are hard to overlook. I’ve contacted the dealer which said they are unfortunately unable to replace it since they are all out of stock. On the plus side the coin sold for considerably less than retail. The dealer offered me store credit or to return it for a refund alternatively.

Where does one draw the line when it comes to proof coins. Will only perfection do? What would be reasonable compensation? Please share your thoughts and experiences. Any advice would be helpful.

I got the same issue with the 2022 memorial half sov, missing bits of frosting not visible to naked eye but there under magnification. Pretty annoying, but I decided to keep it. Clearly the dealer didn't look at the coin under magnification, or they decided it was acceptable.

I would only buy handled or impaired modern proof coins for bullion prices. 

Impossible to shift to any numismatist who knows they are doing but still nice coins.

There are always a few on eBay.  

I saw this at the weekend.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354916693843?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=lrs4pi47rn-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=bYgKomkjQOW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Not my circus, not my monkeys

My opinion would be that a new, untouched proof coin should look flawless when viewed with the naked eye. There should be no scratches, marks, divots or discolouration visible when viewed without magnification.

Once you start magnifying then everything becomes subjective. Everything and anything ever manufactured in the history of the world will show imperfections if you zoom in enough.  A proof coin is not a guarantee of perfection, it is simply the 'best' the mint can produce at that time.... Imagine 10 x magnification used on a William III proof coin - i would bet a months salary that the fields would look like the surface of the moon.

If a dealer had sold me a new proof coin that had visible defects i would expect to be able to return the coin - but only if they were obvious without magnification. In this case it sounds like the dealer has accepted your opinion of the coin and offered a refund so i see no issues. 

On 17/07/2023 at 17:59, Ignorant said:

Paying extra for a level of perfection, I want perfection. But it doesn't exist in the RM world, even though they pretend it does and charge for it. So I don't play. I like cheap bullion. Set the bar low and never get disappointed lol.

Edited by CazLikesCoins