• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Distance buying 30 day rule

Hi

Can anyone advise me on the 30 day rule for returning goods purchased online.

I purchased 3 Royal Mint Lunar BU 1/10oz gold coins from a company called EST1897.

They were bought on the 8thJune and were received on the 14thJune.

So I am within the time limit based on date received but not by date ordered.

I have only just got round to inspecting the coins  properly and they all have hairline scratches, so I wish to return them.

They have been struck to Brilliant Uncirculated standard ie not bullion.

I paid by credit card.

I will contact the company on Monday about a refund, they may well be OK about it, but would like  any advice members could offer me in case they are not.

Thanks

You've always got the back up of your credit card if the dealer doesn't resolve matters.

You've used someone else's money to buy them, they've a vested interest to get it back if owt dodgy has gone on.

As it's their money, not yours. They'd love you to roll it onto interest bearing rolling debt. So just make sure you remain compliant with your minimum payment wether resolved or unresolved 

I don't have all the answers but @BackyardBullion has some advice and discussion in the video above on this topic

Don't quote me on this but AFAIK you are not entitled to a refund on these coins. What you may be entitled to is a replacement if you are unhappy with the condition. If the item description from the seller specifically said there are marks, stains or scratches on the items, or the seller has a disclaimer specifying their definition of bullion, then the seller is not obligated to give you a replacement either. Some sellers may not have a problem giving a refund, especially if spot price increases, and most sellers won't have a problem giving you a replacement if you have a legitimate concern

Remember be patient and kind with whoever you deal with, it will increase your chances of getting the resolution you are after

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I have carried out some research on the "Which" website that has an article on consumer rights.

Its turns out the 30 day period begins once you receive the goods so I should be ok asking for a refund.

3 hours ago, goldhunter said:

Hi

Can anyone advise me on the 30 day rule for returning goods purchased online.

I purchased 3 Royal Mint Lunar BU 1/10oz gold coins from a company called EST1897.

They were bought on the 8thJune and were received on the 14thJune.

So I am within the time limit based on date received but not by date ordered.

I have only just got round to inspecting the coins  properly and they all have hairline scratches, so I wish to return them.

They have been struck to Brilliant Uncirculated standard ie not bullion.

I paid by credit card.

I will contact the company on Monday about a refund, they may well be OK about it, but would like  any advice members could offer me in case they are not.

Thanks

It's 30 days from when you receive it. You can claim a full refund if they're not of satisfactory quality.

The only issue might be proving that they are not of satisfactory quality.

The law is actually much more generous than that, as you can even claim a replacement (or a refund if they can't) up to 6 months after receiving it. Any flaws would be assumed to have been present when you received it, unless the seller can prove otherwise.

Paying by credit card plays massively into your favour, as you can make a Section 75 claim for the amount (as the card provider is jointly and severally liable for any breach of contract - in fact you don't even need to bother asking the retailer to refund you at any point), and if the card company acts foolishly then you can take it to the financial ombudsman. You have to make sure they know you're making a section 75 claim rather than making a dispute if you go down that route.

1 minute ago, Jimmock said:

Found this on the Chards website,I thought pms were exempt from 30 day rule,but couldn't remember where I'd read it.Screenshot_20230709_211500_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bac588a3fe1df6d97350b1b044821ff4.jpg

There's a crucial difference between returning something because you've changed your mind and returning it because it's faulty or not as described.

And that's regardless of whether a BU coin in fancy packaging was sold at a price that fluctuates with the price of gold. 

3 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

returning it because it's faulty or not as described.

I think that's where op might be on a sticky wicket. Had a look on est1879 website,and all images have on them,that this is actual coin you will receive.