• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver coins or silver bars

Hi everyone I’m knew to stacking iv started with 

5 silver krugerrand 

5 silver American eagles 

100 gram silver bar Umicore 

2x 1 gram bars Umicore 

and today I bought 1922 peace roller silver 

do you guys suggest I carry on like this or just stick to bars for weight my goal is to have a back up fund when I’m older I’m spending around £100 a week 

• Founder & Administrator

Moved to the welcome new members section. 

Hello and welcome to The Silver Forum :) 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Welcome my friend!

If you're trying to stack as much weight as possible at the lowest cost per ounce you need to buy large bars, 100g minimum, preferably 1kg

It's nice to have a few of those in your stack but if you're planning on growing your stack to a large amount over many years, you'd be well advised to prioritise legal tender coins. In the UK that means silver Britannias and anything produced by the Royal Mint that has a face value (£2, £5, etc). If the price of silver mooned and you sold bars, if you made > £3,000 profit (from FY 2024/25), those profits would be subject to CGT (Capital Gains Tax). If you're talking about 20 years from now CGT could be a major issue

If you buy legal tender coins like Britannias they are CGT-free, meaning you can stack and sell (up to £85,000 per year) as a private individual with zero taxes on profits (or VAT concerns). The demand for coins is higher than bars - coins are easier to sell when the time comes

You will find Britannias priced very competitively on TSF. Lately they are as low as £22.80/oz although a more common price is £23.50-24.50/oz. That's cheaper per ounce than everything except for 1kg bars and some 100g bars depending on the seller, type of bar and quantity

Whatever you decide to stack, please buy your silver on TSF where prices are lower. It might be an idea to save up and buy as many as possible (preferably a tube of 25, roughly £600 delivered) in one go to save on postage costs and give yourself the best possible value per ounce

You'll also find great deals here on things like Krugerrands, Maples, Eagles, Kangaroos, all sorts of coins. Ideally the majority of your stack should be in UK legal tender coins but from personal experience I know that's easier said than done 😂

My TL:DR advice is start with Britannias then add whatever coins, bars, rounds and poured silver that give you the most joy to own.

Gold is also awesome. Using the budget you gave perhaps you might buy £400 worth of silver for 8 months of the year and £400 worth of gold the other 4 months. There are many on this forum who would advise you to run the inverse of that, i.e. buy gold 8 months a year and silver 4 months

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

I'd go CGT free silver coins such as Brits, cheap as chips on here atm but you do need to get at least a silver membership to be able to see them straight away otherwise you need to wait 3 days and by then the best deals are long gone.

Roam the site and the forum discussion pages for a wealth of info

Bars? If you go bars then I'd stick with 100g/250g/10oz as Kilo ones can be hard to shift even though per oz they can be a better buy

I'm assuming those 1g bars you have are gold

1g gold bars are easy to obtain and suited for smaller budgets and can be liquidated quite quick but if you start to go for those small bars go for cheaper ones such as what tavex sell, they are in assay cards, not part of a snap off sheet and are easy to store.

If you do what a lot of members on here do and collect the pretty ones or sets look at these as part of a collection and guilty pleasure for your own enjoyment

Proofs are not the best if you just want to stack

You'll pick it up in no time but research is the key and buy off here, not BBP or other expensive dealers...

You'll just need to get your head around sending money to complete strangers

NO-ONE WILL LET YOU GET RIPPED OFF .....

cheers Matey

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

Welcome to the forum

great advice given above

silver Britannias are probably your best option with silver. With gold, despite my best intentions to save and buy sovereigns, I am often tempted with the good old 1/10 gold Britannia! Whatever route you go your best option usually is to buy on here. You need to ensure that you have a membership level where you can see any deals immediately, otherwise you have to wait and will probably lose out.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!

If you can afford 1oz AG / month go for that, if you can afford 1oz AU/ month go for that. Stack only what you can afford, every single item added is a plus when you stack for the long run.

CGT free coins are a plus when the time to sell will arrive (that doesn't means you only have to buy one type of coin/ bar, just achieve a balance stack).

Edited by daca

Hi @Frankie0121 welcome to the forum. Joining is a good move to make, increasing your stack cost effectively.

I cant really add more to what @HonestMoneyGoldSilver@Gordy and @Petra have said.

Maybe looking at when to buy gold or silver? I use the gold silver ratio to split my purchasing between the two. At the moment I'm getting only silver as the ratio in my opinion is so high it must come down at some point. So will trade in a chunk of silver into gold.

Hope the forum proves a good hunting ground for you!

Edited by monkey

• 2 weeks later...

yes iv been spending around 250 pound per week but I am stacking 1\10 oz gold britannias when I get to 20 ill move to 1\4 oz gold so each week I buy 1 gram bar and 1\10 coin so 4.11 gram per week