• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint Blister Packs?

DTL1982

I want to grab a memorial sovereign whilst they are still available at retail. I missed the proof version but the RM still has the bullion either with or without the blister pack. 

I can buy without the blister pack here in the US for about the same as ordering from the RM (prices are a little lower but I’d have to pay sales tax on top if I bought here) but the blister packs are only available directly from the RM and would cost a few dollars more. is there any advantage to them? Do any of you like them for any special reasons or do they not really matter?  I’m inclined to think they are clunky to store compared to just a coin in a capsule and they would skew the appearance of the actual coin as well but they seem to be popular among some people. 

BYB briefly touched on this recently. I would say it dosn't really matter as long as the sovereign is put straight into a capsule for protection. They seem to sell just as quick on TSF with or without a blister pack.

I am hankering for the Memorial Sovereign in the blister pack but I haven’t yet taken the plunge as I’m saving for something else and still debating... 🫤

I do like the blister packs personally and would choose that simply because I intend buying just one, so a few extra £££ won’t make much difference to me. If I were buying multiples however, I’d have gone for the loose coins.

12 minutes ago, monkey said:

BYB briefly touched on this recently. I would say it dosn't really matter as long as the sovereign is put straight into a capsule for protection. They seem to sell just as quick on TSF with or without a blister pack.

I actually saw his video and the fact this his blister pack came scratched up is what prompted me to rethink the option. Originally I planned on a blister pack but he gave me pause haha. 

8 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I am hankering for the Memorial Sovereign in the blister pack but I haven’t yet taken the plunge as I’m saving for something else and still debating... 🫤

I do like the blister packs personally and would choose that simply because I intend buying just one, so a few extra £££ won’t make much difference to me. If I were buying multiples however, I’d have gone for the loose coins.

I also only plan to buy one so the extra cost isn’t a huge deal. And it’s to be part of my collection for the long term anyway. I have the coronation quarter sov in proof so I was thinking maybe the loose coin for the memorial in case I ever want to display them together in the future. 

I suppose if its to keep for a collection, then get the blister. It put a bit more context to the sovereign and its more of a collectors piece.

If its for investment then the blister will just take up storage space.

At the end of the day, they are bullion coins in slightly fancier packaging and I think it comes down to personal preference rather than there being any real premium attached to the packaging itself.

Personally I am not keen on them for bullion coins, but I see the appeal.  I just buy the raw coin for my collection and put it into an appropriate Quadrum capsule.

Somewhat perversely, I hold the opposite opinion regarding the RM minted bullion bars below 10 oz in weight - I want these in the packaging rather than loose or in a clear capsule.  I think that the bars lend themselves to this packaging format, but not the coins.

Horses for courses.