• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Elizabeth II Sovereigns?

Do you nice people think that QEII Sov's could be a better investment than others over the longer term? My thinking (yeah right!) is they could be, after all there were a lot less minted then others, like GV. I know it won't be a large amount, maybe £20 more for each coin? Gillick head Sov's, is slight above, Machin head next up, then the rest?

Type about this for a bit😃

Personally I think a sovereign is a sovereign the factor that changes is specific dates of note [ and collectors need ] when it comes to value.

On saying that I think young heads are my favourite and finding one that has a full pigtail and defined hair band will always be worth a couple of £s extra.

IMHO of course  😀

7 hours ago, KevjustKev said:

Do you nice people think that QEII Sov's could be a better investment than others over the longer term? My thinking (yeah right!) is they could be, after all there were a lot less minted then others, like GV. I know it won't be a large amount, maybe £20 more for each coin? Gillick head Sov's, is slight above, Machin head next up, then the rest?

I think Gillicks are a great coin for a low premium.  Beyond that, for bullion coins, I am not that fussed on QE2 that are not Gillicks.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Personally I find that the numismatic aspect of sovereigns stops around the time of Gillick. As later sovereigns were exclusively meant for stacking and investing they do not have the same appeal as the ones prior. Same goes for Britannias. QEII or KC are equivalent and I don't think either will gain in premium over the other in the future. 

2002, 2005, 2012, 2017, bullion sovereigns are not bad it you can pick them up for a reasonable rate, also it’s nice for the collection to get the 2022 Jubilee/ memorial and 2023 coronation…..it’s a free hobby.  If you think about it. 

16 hours ago, KevjustKev said:

You mention ‘GV’ but must realise that later George V sovereigns were mostly melted down during the early 1930’s. So whilst a George V sovereign from a particular branch mint might have a ‘healthy’ mintage. Only 10% might remain.

It’s impossible to answer your question about QEII sovereigns because you don’t mention any specific dates. Are they a better investment over others as you ask, what others?

3 hours ago, Foster88 said:

You mention ‘GV’ but must realise that later George V sovereigns were mostly melted down during the early 1930’s. So whilst a George V sovereign from a particular branch mint might have a ‘healthy’ mintage. Only 10% might remain.

It’s impossible to answer your question about QEII sovereigns because you don’t mention any specific dates. Are they a better investment over others as you ask, what others?

Any dates really, of course 2002.04,and 12 now, and 17 and 22 in the coming years