• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Young Head Victoria shield-back sovereigns x9

The 1880m on your wanted list is an expensive coin. Those who have them in decent condition tend to send them off for grading. Marsh rates this as R2 and value £4000. I can probably get you one graded as AU53 for about £1950

Never Chase and Never Regret 

18 minutes ago, Spyder said:

The 1880m on your wanted list is an expensive coin. Those who have them in decent condition tend to send them off for grading. Marsh rates this as R2 and value £4000. I can probably get you one graded as AU53 for about £1950

1883M even rarer, less than 500k minted

1 minute ago, Spyder said:

Incredible with less then 500k Rated R2 but only valued by Marsh as £650, something must be wrong there.  

I would not pay too much attention to either rarity scores or values in Marsh,

For example the 1873M G&D is rated scarce with a mintage of 752k yet the 1881M shield is rated rare with a mintage of 2.3m 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Orpster said:

I would not pay too much attention to either rarity scores or values in Marsh,

For example the 1873M G&D is rated scarce with a mintage of 752k yet the 1881M shield is rated rare with a mintage of 2.3m 🤷‍♂️

Maybe some coins have higher mintage figures, but maybe somewhere there is a record to prove many of these coins have been melted and so they become rare. Can only go by what any particular year sells for and how many you can find online for sale. 

Never Chase and Never Regret 

4 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Maybe some coins have higher mintage figures, but maybe somewhere there is a record to prove many of these coins have been melted and so they become rare. Can only go by what any particular year sells for and how many you can find online for sale. 

If they have done that it is inconsistently, you only have to look at the Canada mint George V ratings to see that.
They were only minted in the tens or in a couple of cases the hundreds of thousands, its also a well documented fact many were melted down to pay war debts, yet in Marsh they still rate as C, or in some cases C2 and even a C3! (bar a couple of years)

16 minutes ago, SheepStacker said:

That 1857 is tempting, can you give me a top-down high-res of the 1857 reverse please, if possible? I want to see how bad the nick is at top-top-left.

Best I can do in this light:

IMG_1511.thumb.JPG.ecf1b07f7d44ce0b125f2d3a2ffcfe99.JPG IMG_15121.thumb.JPG.e2cfdb59f2f55dbff3715621b4550bac.JPG

Its the top right in these pictures:

1857(2).thumb.JPG.2f091dd46d9bab470d075498d4ba2add.JPG 

1857(1).thumb.JPG.d299aa158675fe675a9d04afa70af8ce.JPG

The bottom one of the three is also available but its had a slight polish at some point, so I would only be looking for £430 +post

• 4 weeks later...