• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Opinion on 2 sovereign, a Gillick and a shiny 1982

Von

Hello, i want share two sovereign for two questions ( im new, have patience).

First question is about a shiny like mirror field 1982, compared to another older, wanted know if this year is like that…

…second question is about the edge of a Gillick (especially top left edge thickness on St.George side), if you see something wrong or if maybe was a mounted one.

thanks, and sorry for my English 😇

091C390B-8899-40D4-9351-C4133CF6C0A1.jpeg

F4A13277-64A9-4D36-B0FF-8E9FD865B1A0.jpeg

1611AA8A-B8E8-4DD5-9D2F-816B6B0E4675.jpeg

BF29B32F-3B93-486A-8141-0CA4F342E7E0.jpeg

80F258AF-565A-4248-82BF-856EF8E32F91.jpeg

D5872BB3-CA5C-4AB3-96F5-3D2B6C809C7C.jpeg

6699EE95-EBFA-4E06-94DE-2977C1E624F8.jpeg

Edited by Von

If you look at bullion sovereigns 2000 onwards they're all mirror shiny. Some display weak lustre while others don't, and quite randomly (Lustre is the rotating highlight when you turn a coin around under light). 

I wouldn't say the 1982 was mirror-shiny. The Gillick and Machin sovereigns aren't too different, although the Machin ones are indeed shinier than the Gillick ones; the Gillick ones are in turn shinier than the pre-1932 bullion/circulating issues. But whether it be Machin or Gillick, or the good old George V, Edward VII, Victoria, etc. they all have this silky lustre.

Gillick and Machin sovereigns were never meant to circulate. They were most likely minted to settle debts as an ordinary Brit was not allowed to own any gold until the 70s (same applied to US and Japan individuals, maybe other European countries) due to the economic aftermath of WWII. As a consequence most of them are in fair condition. They all have some marks and scratches because they were put in mags/boxes en masse and were moved around the bank vaults. Hence you could have wear on the edges. Another possibility is that some previous owners stored them in sovereign cases, where the edges could get disproportionately worn.

Uneven rim thickness, however, is most likely a consequence of off-centre striking, which could indicate counterfeiting. I cannot tell from your picture whether you coins are fake or not. The Royal Mint is also notorious for their QC these days and people often see sharp raised fins along the edges, ie. off-centre strike and too much pressure applied. I see this on several 2022 Platinum Jubilee bullion coins. Anyone who bought the 2oz gold petition crown would notice it as well. 

Some could look at the portrait of an older sovereign and if they have weak details they might be fake. But since all Gillicks are very weakly struck this does not apply. People test specific gravity (fancy word for density) and electrical conductivity. Those can be done at relatively low costs. X-ray machines likely fetch 5-digits minimum so not every collector has them. If you drop both coins on a desk and they sound the same they're likely both genuine. Or you could have fake coins of correct amount of gold. Some are forged for numismatic value, while others could be used to launder stolen gold. 

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Thanks for the input. Measures and weight and thickness are tested and ok. 

i bought also a Victorian sovereign scale, i think that if it pass these test at least “at weight” value im safe.

Interesting what you say about owning gold until 1970, will try google that and see the story, I didn’t know that.

17 minutes ago, Von said:

Thanks for the input. Measures and weight and thickness are tested and ok. 

i bought also a Victorian sovereign scale, i think that if it pass these test at least “at weight” value im safe.

Interesting what you say about owning gold until 1970, will try google that and see the story, I didn’t know that.

https://www.chards.co.uk/guides/exchange-control-act/785

Here is a link for the UK case. Credit Mr. Chard. Even during WWI there were attempts by the Liberal government to buy all gold sovereigns from UK subjects. I would probably gladly die for King and country, but no way I will hand in my gold.

In the US people weren't allowed since the Confiscation by gangster Roosevelt. I don't know how this was reinforced, and presumably many people just hid their gold or "lost" it when they happened to be driving a boat with their entire stack and accidentally capsized. Oops...

https://www.federalreservehistory.org/essays/gold-reserve-act

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102#Prosecutions

Some said there are Austrian Mint restrike 1915 coronae to bypass the gold ban in the US. I cannot say to which extent this story is true.

Victorian sovereign scales are very good. But sometimes they're bit off and you need to adjust the balance with sandpaper.

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.