• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Doublestruck 2022 Platinum Jubilee proof sovereign?

paulmerton

I've just received this 2022 Platinum Jubilee proof sovereign which appears to have been doublestruck on the reverse. 

The ghostly outline of the design (shifted to the left) is quite obvious through a loupe if you move it around in the light, but I'm finding it very hard to take a photo that shows what I can see. Some of the better attempts are below, if you look at them carefully you should hopefully still be able to see what I mean.

I have many questions!

1. Has anyone seen one like this before? (given the long wait for the replacement, I assume it must have been minted in the past week or so, so it could be quite rare!)
  2. Considering it's a proof coin, is this significant enough to be called a mint error? 
  3. Would doublestruck even be the correct term for this sort of thing? I know these specific coins are struck three times - could it be that the top die shifted slightly during the process? The obverse has no sign of a shifted design.
  4. Can I retire off this coin or should I return it again? 🤣

image.thumb.png.13d2519f8030b0f40f4ade46fdf7bac9.png

image.png.077e9d874a7313ec729e0931d940c578.png

image.png.ccb0749aee9ae8e939669618abdb3d18.png

image.png.548b558994677b000278575f7d0be9ed.png

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:
  • Has anyone seen one like this before? (given the long wait for the replacement, I assume it must have been minted in the past week or so, so it could be quite rare!)
  • Considering it's a proof coin, is this significant enough to be called a mint error? 
  • Would doublestruck even be the correct term for this sort of thing? I know these specific coins are struck three times - could it be that the top die shifted slightly during the process? The obverse has no sign of a shifted design.
  • Can I retire off this coin or should I return it again?

1) i havent on modern sovereigns, but maybe i just havent checked them that closely before.  

2) i wouldnt consider it "an error", or in any case i wouldnt personally consider it something that would add value on the coin. And that would apply both ways (if i was to keep for myself, or i was to sell it)

3) i d call it doublestruck too

4) i'd return it and ask for a replacement

Edited by refero

there's an insane run going on, where everyone tries to buy, slab and get the ultra super duper maxi fantastic wow PF70 (on modern proofs) or a TOP POP ms 66-67 (on modern bullions); and this is just DESTROYING the market (when i see a gillick going for 2 grands i really turn sad).

On 18/03/2023 at 16:40, refero said:

1) i havent on modern sovereigns, but maybe i just havent checked them that closely before.  

2) i wouldnt consider it "an error", or in any case i wouldnt personally consider it something that would add value on the coin. And that would apply both ways (if i was to keep for myself, or i was to sell it)

3) i d call it doublestruck too

4) i'd return it and ask for a replacement

God damn, I wish the mint could either sort me out with an acceptable coin or at least have the decency to give me one with a more significant error on it 🤣

I'm still unsure what to do with it. Does anyone find this sort of thing desirable at all? I would hate to return it and later find out that I've sent back something special/unique to be melted!

I would suggest to hold on to it if you’re in doubt. It’s definitely not an ugly specimen with flaws.

Also, maybe you could contact the RM and ask them about it (either send pictures or the coin itself?)

I’ve seen some people get confirmation from the RM on errors and genuineness of various UK coins.

On 18/03/2023 at 16:44, refero said:

there's an insane run going on, where everyone tries to buy, slab and get the ultra super duper maxi fantastic wow PF70 (on modern proofs) or a TOP POP ms 66-67 (on modern bullions); and this is just DESTROYING the market (when i see a gillick going for 2 grands i really turn sad).

I want MS70’s on modern bullion sovereigns, and I’ve been screaming for years telling people Gillicks were fantastically undervalued same for 3rd portrait £5 sovs.  Now they have spiked in price you can’t really belly ache for not having the foresight yourself.

Grading coins imo is a large  driving force for the coin market even benefitting  those who don’t grade coins as well as in many cases it drags up the prices of the “raw” coins especially in lower populations. 

Alternatively it benefits you again as you can just buy a modern 69-68 coin for RRP or very close to it, even take it out of a slab if you don’t like it and buy a RM box for the coin so you are not forced to buy a 2 grand coin. 

There’s always two ways at looking everything.