• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Trial of the Pyx 2021-dated coins

25 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Did anyone else get anything?

I'm wondering if the blister has been placed into the tamper evident packaging the wrong way round, as the coins sticks out the back instead of out the front like I would have expected.

image.thumb.png.774ea1c93d1f1611906642fe713378ae.png

I didn’t see that for sale. It looks lovely. 

3 minutes ago, Chrisplym said:

You did well getting that one @paulmerton 👍

Indeed, out of everything there was I really can't think of a better one to have gone for.

7 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I didn’t see that for sale. It looks lovely. 

It came back on Tuesday after supposedly selling out on the first day of presale, so worth keeping a close eye on anything you were after.

4 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Thanks @paulmerton. The coins on that page keep appearing and disappearing. It’s quite annoying. 

I can’t even see yours as sold out. 

It’s like it doesn’t exist. 

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/ancient-historic/trial-of-the-pyx/the-queens-beasts-one-ounce-silver-proof-coin/

I also had an eye on this one but to no avail https://www.royalmint.com/shop/ancient-historic/trial-of-the-pyx/gothic-crown-quartered-arms-two-ounce-silver-proof-coin/

24 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Thank you. I would’ve loved to get the Completer as it’s what I can afford right now.

The GC is also lovely, but a bit pricey for me. 

5 minutes ago, noam46 said:

got these coins from the trial, what do you think? i hate the damage. 

A hefty wodge, but I don't think Trial of the Pyx coins are the ones you want to be buying if you don't want a damaged coin. They have all been handled and clanged about with each other during the process. 

4 minutes ago, noam46 said:

got these coins from the trial, what do you think? i hate the damage. 

Those are the 5 oz gold proofs aren’t they?

I think I mentioned before that I didn’t think the Pyx coins were worth it for the price unless you care about the ceremony and the exclusivity of the coins because of it. I suppose you’re meant to be appreciating them for this reason; the tradeoff is indeed the damage.

17 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Those are the 5 oz gold proofs aren’t they?

I think I mentioned before that I didn’t think the Pyx coins were worth it for the price unless you care about the ceremony and the exclusivity of the coins because of it. I suppose you’re meant to be appreciating them for this reason; the tradeoff is indeed the damage.

im looking to profit. was hoping it added value if i sent them to auction. yes they are the 5oz 

34 minutes ago, noam46 said:

im looking to profit. was hoping it added value if i sent them to auction. yes they are the 5oz 

There’s definitely a niche market for these Pyx coins, especially for the more popular ranges like the Great Engravers. Sovereign, and Queen’s Beasts. Good luck with the auction. 🙂

1 hour ago, noam46 said:

Might be as well that in future you actually find out about things such as the trial before buying and then expecting top graded coins! This has been going on for hundreds of years and it is pretty well known what the process is and what can be done to the coins involved.

1 minute ago, Petra said:

Might be as well that in future you actually find out about things such as the trial before buying and then expecting top graded coins! This has been going on for hundreds of years and it is pretty well known what the process is and what can be done to the coins involved.

They only started selling the coins to the public a few years ago though.

Genius idea really, packaging up damaged/handled proof coins that they would previously have melted down but instead selling them for even more than undamaged ones!

1 minute ago, paulmerton said:

They only started selling the coins to the public a few years ago though.

Genius idea really, packaging up damaged/handled proof coins that they would previously have melted down but instead selling them for even more than undamaged ones!

Years ago the coins probably went back into circulation if not too bad, or back to be melted. If you are going to buy a coin from the trial, then at least understand the process the coins gone through and consequently may end up like. Enough information out there! Pretty obvious thet are more of a numismatic interest.

4 hours ago, Petra said:

i did research but i assumed people would handle them with "a white glove" and be more carful with them

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, davidse1260 said:

Does anyone know if any trial of the Pyx piece example is worth more than another.  Example #1 of 6  trial piece vs. #3 of 6 for any type of coin?   

Doesn’t seem like it. And they all a generalised grade as they’ve been bill graded. So I don’t see why the numbers would matter - it’s like a COA I suppose to just tell you which #x out of the total #y you have. 

On 02/03/2023 at 14:45, noam46 said:

You need to do some homework on the coin market.   I personally like the trial of the pyx coins however these are a niche within a niche in terms of collectability.  Does the trail of the Pyx add a lot?   I'd have to say no, and this is from someone who buys them and appreciates them for what they are. 

I presume you bought these at a premium, then you want to put to auction (theres fees both ends for you and the buyer) and then you want the person to bid more than you paid including al this.......It's a very big ask.   Best thing to do is put them into auction see how you go if you make a profit then good for you, if you make losses then chalk it up to numismatic experience. 

Have you been collecting coins for a while?

1 minute ago, jason94151 said:

I'm wondering if the trial pieces from auction with the hallmarks are worth it or that just the same as a normal trial coin that the mint sell without the hallmark. 

They are a completely separate beast. There will only be one of each sold to the public and they aren't actually coins.

Some of them also have coin designs and sizes that were never sold to the public.

24 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

They are a completely separate beast. There will only be one of each sold to the public and they aren't actually coins.

Some of them also have coin designs and sizes that were never sold to the public.

Oh I thought they were trial piece that they hallmark to just auction off