• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

silver coin question

cake

Why wouldn’t a guy just buy the cheaper one?  For example: A 2022 1 oz American Silver Eagle Coin BU is $37.85 and a 2022 1 oz Silver Maple Leaf Coin is $28.75.  Both are on the same site (SD Bullion), same spot price.  What would you do?  

Thanks.

I probably would just buy the less expensive one, but there are plenty of people who seem to be willing to pay a big premium for Eagles, so they are pricing to the market. 

The premiums are on both sides of the trade as well.:.I was recently emailed a promotion from APMEX offering to buy silver Eagles for $10 over spot. 

A bullion coin has 2 prices - scrap meaning spot or thereabouts for the raw metal and market price - what punters are prepared to pay.
I recall the days when you could purchase Eagles at a few dollars over spot making them amongst the cheapest bullion silver around.
Not sure what has changed in the USA, perhaps lower mintages or panic switching from fiat to metal as retaining value.
Paying a premium is risking that the interest will not wane but I suspect prices will fall so look for the cheapest silver at the moment.

10 hours ago, cake said:

Why wouldn’t a guy just buy the cheaper one?  For example: A 2022 1 oz American Silver Eagle Coin BU is $37.85 and a 2022 1 oz Silver Maple Leaf Coin is $28.75.  Both are on the same site (SD Bullion), same spot price.  What would you do?  

Thanks.

Why not buy both? !!😁

EDC4C9C5-9C44-43A7-B003-ABB3547AF1AF.jpeg

If someone is a collector then the more expensive coin might be the one they're looking for.  Otherwise if you're just looking for silver then you might likely buy the cheaper coin.

Or maybe you hate Canadians so then you'll avoid the Maple leaf.

There is the metal value which is the same and the coin value which is obviously higher for the ASE.
There have been shortages in production from the US Mint. This puts a premium on ASE's. 
That premium might evaporate in the future - it might get bigger. Who knows? 
My guess is that the relative premium will fall over time. The ASE has a 31% premium over the price of a Maple. If silver goes to $50 will that premium hold?
If silver went to $50 and the Maple was $60, would the ASE for 2022 be $78.60?
If you got the Maple you could potentially buy more silver.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

On 31/12/2022 at 12:51, RacerCool said:

If someone is a collector then the more expensive coin might be the one they're looking for.  Otherwise if you're just looking for silver then you might likely buy the cheaper coin.

Or maybe you hate Canadians so then you'll avoid the Maple leaf.

Thanks Racer.  Some people are collectors.

On 31/12/2022 at 16:29, sixgun said:

There is the metal value which is the same and the coin value which is obviously higher for the ASE.
There have been shortages in production from the US Mint. This puts a premium on ASE's. 
That premium might evaporate in the future - it might get bigger. Who knows? 
My guess is that the relative premium will fall over time. The ASE has a 31% premium over the price of a Maple. If silver goes to $50 will that premium hold?
If silver went to $50 and the Maple was $60, would the ASE for 2022 be $78.60?
If you got the Maple you could potentially buy more silver.

Thanks sixgun.  I'm starting to understand.  I just got into gold & silver and it won't really sink in until I sell some.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won’t be offended".  So true.  Are we ever going to stand up for what we believe?

On 31/12/2022 at 08:29, Britannia47 said:

Why not buy both? !!😁

EDC4C9C5-9C44-43A7-B003-ABB3547AF1AF.jpeg

Do you ever care about the mint the coins were made at?  Is the LBMA list important?

Probably not, to be honest, certainly not to the extent of checking the LBMA list. All the RM does is ensure it’s  gold is responsibly sourced. As for buying/selling on TSF also probably not. If it’s an issue of ethics etc then it becomes a personal choice. I see no difference between the Royal Canadian Mint and West Point and have bought from both. I’m sure other members will also buy from mints world-wide if it’s the right coin.

Just buy what you like and and can afford regardless.