• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bristol Bullion

It looks like I'll be in Bristol at some point next month and, having never yet actually visited a coin/bullion dealer in person, I thought I might stop in at Bristol Bullion - https://bristolbullion.co.uk/

They don't have live stock or price information on their website, and I wasn't able to find anything on them searching here. Any experiences/opinions on them?

I can’t speak from experience as I’ve never been to them, but, I think they’re part of something bigger.

I knew I recognised a couple of the videos they have on their website.. It’s the same as the Nottingham one.

https://nottinghambullion.co.uk

7 hours ago, Anteater said:

It looks like I'll be in Bristol at some point next month and, having never yet actually visited a coin/bullion dealer in person, I thought I might stop in at Bristol Bullion - https://bristolbullion.co.uk/

They don't have live stock or price information on their website, and I wasn't able to find anything on them searching here. Any experiences/opinions on them?

Never used unfortunately, not that I could 😕 

Why have a website with no pricing? Suppose its a big surprise until you land at the shop 😆 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

After a sniff around their website I would surmise they are a bullion operation a la bullionbypost etc as opposed to a coin shop in the traditional sense. Odd not to have live pricing if this is the case though, but then the website itself is very basic especially if it's a part of a larger corporate operation. If you're their anyway drop in to suss it out for fun?

A quick search brought up the name Saltford Coins which looks more like a coin shop. It was a brief glance so not sure if they sell bullion metal too. I'd have a good hunt around online for addresses and phone numbers, some places won't have a presence online as such so won't be immediately obvious.

Edited by Arganto
Spelling

47 minutes ago, Arganto said:

After a sniff around their website I would surmise they are a bullion operation a la bullionbypost etc as opposed to a coin shop in the traditional sense. Odd not to have live pricing if this is the case though, but then the website itself is very basic especially if it's a part of a larger corporate operation. If you're their anyway drop in to suss it out for fun?

A quick search brought up the name Saltford Coins which looks more like a coin shop. It was a brief glance so not sure if they sell bullion metal too. I'd have a good hunt around online for addresses and phone numbers, some places won't have a presence online as such so won't be immediately obvious.

Only thing I can add is I know saltford coins is now online only, nice old couple run it and they have a table at the London coin fair ☺️

Thanks all for the replies.

13 hours ago, codenamedtango said:

I’m going to go try and check out the Nottingham one out between Christmas and New Year I think.

Would be interested to know what your experience is like.

On 24/12/2022 at 01:46, Happypanda88 said:

Why not phone them first and enquire about the price of coins / bars that you're interested in.

That way, at least you'll know what the premium they charge and decide whether it is worth a visit.

I might do that. Will see what @codenamedtango reports first. I was mostly just wondering what they'd be like and if there'd be any price advantage over online dealers. Thinking of (somehow) trading a couple of Krugs plus cash for a couple of modern Brits - might look to sell on here once I have more feedback but doing it all in person might be easier.

So I went, they were very friendly and explained everything. 

They quoted me:

168£ for a quarter britannia 

425£ for a sovereign (didn’t ask dates sorry I’m newbie)

1626£ for a Krugerrand

812£ for 1kg silver bar (to order) 

Haven’t checks if prices are good or not yet. Plus they have convenient on site safeboxes for a decent price. 

AF3EF0DC-9B73-42FD-AA2E-08F4D8326FD8.jpeg

Edited by QuangChien

QC

"Infinite diversity in infinite combinations"

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

This must be an error of some description 🤔 

Maybe I noted some figures wrong, sorry, but they are just a phone call away.  Must be 1/10 it was a very small coin. 

Edited by QuangChien

QC

1 minute ago, QuangChien said:

Maybe I noted some figures wrong, sorry, but they are just a phone call away.  Must be 1/10 it was a very small coin. 

Yeah a 1/10th and that's actually a decent price considering how wild the rest of the prices are.

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Price's are c**p tbh.

1oz krugerrand from @1stsovereign £1515 delivered 

Generic sovereigns around £375 and even special reverse sovereigns go for less than their quote.

Kilos of silver £720-£730 ish

Maybe they are expensive, I didn’t buy anything in the end, wanted your expert view 😉

QC

Thanks for the report @QuangChien

Yeah, seems expensive compared to major online dealers inc postage prices. I guess that might be partly due to the expensive of a retail shop, but I'd have thought that saving on RMSD would help a bit. I'm guessing their buy prices wouldn't be any better than online dealers either.

Did they have stuff out in display cases/etc to look at or was it just a counter?

2 hours ago, Anteater said:

Yeah, seems expensive compared to major online dealers inc postage prices. I guess that might be partly due to the expensive of a retail shop, but I'd have thought that saving on RMSD would help a bit. I'm guessing their buy prices wouldn't be any better than online dealers either.

Did they have stuff out in display cases/etc to look at or was it just a counter?

Just counter, it’s not really a coin shop. 

QC

4 hours ago, Anteater said:

@James32 also, I wonder how/ what they would say if you mention this to them in person. Understanding they have overheads and will have to maintain a certain margin. But if it was at the cost of losing a sale if they would move on price?

4 hours ago, codenamedtango said:

I’m popping into the Nottingham one tomorrow. I’ll ask what their prices are and see how it compares to their Bristol location.

Be interested to hear back on your venture and findings.

1 minute ago, ShineyMagpie said:

@James32 also, I wonder how/ what they would say if you mention this to them in person. Understanding they have overheads and will have to maintain a certain margin. But if it was at the cost of losing a sale if they would move on price?

Be interested to hear back on your venture and findings.

It's possible, but I doubt it. They obviously have buyers at that price to keep it so high. Its surprising how many folk don't realise that you can shop around ( take ebay for example) I often see prices achieved on there higher than main street dealers with websites. 

I suppose its still better than buying jewellery etc from the likes of H Samuel's. 

I can't really laugh as my first 12 kilo silver bar's came from bullionbypost.co.uk, but I wasn't happy just settling for their website/vat inclusive price, I bought them from their eBay account including those extra tacked on fees too 😆 🤣 😂 

I forgot to say that buy biting more sovereigns there is discount but don’t recall how much. They mentioned some resins why the price is higher than online, so at least they acknowledge it. 

QC