Jump to content
  • The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Payment & Order Issues


MikeGTA

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

Just curious if anyone has had similar issues to the below recently?


At the weekend I ordered some gold from there site and paid on credit card, physical, to be delivered, bullion not coins.

I got no order confirmation and the order does not show in my account.

I called Monday, the said payment had been received in one system but no order was generated tagged to my account.

They said they would refund / cancel the order, and to buy again.

I re-purchased, I then got two order confirmations come through, 1 for each.

Both orders have processed on my credit card, and I call and they say that everything looks fine, no refunds are processing and the orders will go out(!).

They then say that they cannot do refunds back to cards, and it has to go into your investment account and to withdraw it back into the bank(!).

And to top it all off, it seems as I paid on card I've had two "Cash Withdrawal" charges from my bank, which the website does not make you aware of.


So, anyone had a similar issue RE orders this week?
And is it normal for the cash payment charges on CC? 
I can understand for sending "Cash" into the investment account for online storage, but not when making a physical purchase of a product....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, cannot say I have experienced issues like this with orders not confirming.

I guess the lesson here is about patience for the RM system to catch up. 

As to charges on credit cards for cash - this is a pretty common thing for bullion and is down to the card provider and card holder to check rather than the Royal Mint to make customers aware. 

Some credit cards don't put this charge on, but most do so would be worth checking your T&C's.

If you are purchasing on a Credit Card for cashback then well worth just using one of the other types of cashback cards out there or sites like Honey or Topcashback

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If this is the first time you have ordered bullion you may not be aware bullion does not show in the same place as commemorative coins, you have to look under transaction history and not orders:

image.png.c9550871da61bb93e68001f27ef193b1.png

The taking payment as cash appears to be dependant on card provider as there have been reports of this on the forum before.

I had the same issue you are describing last month, no confirmation email and no charge on my card so re-ordered and later both orders show in my account then appeared on my card about 2 hours later - but I just kept both orders:

image.png.ec182edf7cf4d8d69de9cfcc64ed145a.png

Ordering with RM is always an adventure

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah that's interesting.
Yes was bars.
Very strange though as I told the CS person I had ordered and when and then gave my account number and they said they couldn't see any attached orders.
Hence their advice.

Well the bank say they are cancelling the charges, but a warning at checkout would be useful imo!

Luckily it was a small order and I don't mind getting it twice, but if it had been bigger it would have been a major issue, but then I guess I would have waited to check the first refund happened etc.

Still think realllllly naff CS, surprising.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MikeGTA said:

Hello,

 

Just curious if anyone has had similar issues to the below recently?


At the weekend I ordered some gold from there site and paid on credit card, physical, to be delivered, bullion not coins.

I got no order confirmation and the order does not show in my account.

I called Monday, the said payment had been received in one system but no order was generated tagged to my account.

They said they would refund / cancel the order, and to buy again.

I re-purchased, I then got two order confirmations come through, 1 for each.

Both orders have processed on my credit card, and I call and they say that everything looks fine, no refunds are processing and the orders will go out(!).

They then say that they cannot do refunds back to cards, and it has to go into your investment account and to withdraw it back into the bank(!).

And to top it all off, it seems as I paid on card I've had two "Cash Withdrawal" charges from my bank, which the website does not make you aware of.


So, anyone had a similar issue RE orders this week?
And is it normal for the cash payment charges on CC? 
I can understand for sending "Cash" into the investment account for online storage, but not when making a physical purchase of a product....

There was a similar Topic / Thread recently!

😎

Chards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, MikeGTA said:

They said they would refund / cancel the order, and to buy again.
 

Given that they advised you like this and then messed up ... personally I think they should be obliged to make good on their word.  i.e. cancel the first one of the two orders and refund the associated first payment.  If you agree to accept their mistake and go ahead with both orders & payments then I think they should give you something by way of an apology e.g. a discount off this/these or next purchase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

So, cannot say I have experienced issues like this with orders not confirming.

I guess the lesson here is about patience for the RM system to catch up. 

As to charges on credit cards for cash - this is a pretty common thing for bullion and is down to the card provider and card holder to check rather than the Royal Mint to make customers aware. 

Some credit cards don't put this charge on, but most do so would be worth checking your T&C's.

If you are purchasing on a Credit Card for cashback then well worth just using one of the other types of cashback cards out there or sites like Honey or Topcashback

Topcashback is normally 1% for existing rm customers and 3% as a new customer but they must have a special on as its 2% and 5% at the moment.

Just ordered a couple of 1oz coins so will be interesting to see if my bank charge it as cash.  if so, I will give them a call to try and get it refunded as its the first time I have bought bullion off them. But then wont buy bullion from RM again. ( the circulating side have gone through as a normal transaction - even silver proofs ) But purchases from the likes of chards ( albeit a debit card ), BBP, bleyer have gone through without the charge, so why the difference?  It must be something at the RM side that is telling the card issuer that its "cash"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update

Bank cancelled charges, although the guy on the end seemed confused about it all.
He said, "What do they sell", I said "Gold / Silver Coins, bullion etc".
He said ".... is that like gambling or something" lol.
They have refunded those now.

RM have supposedly cancelled the order, but will only refund to my 'investment account' not direct to my bank, but that seems path of least resistance (Payment still pending so far, but I'm sure will be ok).
And I've had confirmation of one of the orders now being en-route.

There is something fishy about how they process payments imo, maybe doing it all via the investment account and instantly debiting it for the checkout purchase, but checkout doesn't clarify that.

If you want to pay on card, easiest way is just Paypal a friend / partner the money and they just send it back to you to avoid this bs, but tbh I think I'll just go eBay / TSF / smaller dealer in the future. 

Far less hassle, generally!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, MikeGTA said:

Update

Bank cancelled charges, although the guy on the end seemed confused about it all.
He said, "What do they sell", I said "Gold / Silver Coins, bullion etc".
He said ".... is that like gambling or something" lol.
They have refunded those now.

RM have supposedly cancelled the order, but will only refund to my 'investment account' not direct to my bank, but that seems path of least resistance (Payment still pending so far, but I'm sure will be ok).
And I've had confirmation of one of the orders now being en-route.

There is something fishy about how they process payments imo, maybe doing it all via the investment account and instantly debiting it for the checkout purchase, but checkout doesn't clarify that.

If you want to pay on card, easiest way is just Paypal a friend / partner the money and they just send it back to you to avoid this bs, but tbh I think I'll just go eBay / TSF / smaller dealer in the future. 

Far less hassle, generally!

 

Royal Mint do state in their FAQs that they do not accept Credit card, but I accidentally put my Credit card details in once for an order instead of my Debit card, and they took the payment just fine. Didn't get cancelled.

payrm.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SheepStacker said:

Royal Mint do state in their FAQs that they do not accept Credit card, but I accidentally put my Credit card details in once for an order instead of my Debit card, and they took the payment just fine. Didn't get cancelled.

payrm.png

that doesnt make sense as they plainly do accept payment by credit card as shown by this thread and various users.  So basically BAU for the mint then.  issue contradictory information and wing it!

 

my bullion coins have already been dispatched and are with Royal Mail.  They were due to be delivered between 10.26 and 12.26, but guess what? They werent and the mail tracking web page is down.  Yeesh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use