• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Early Britannias better struck than later ones?

RDHC

I take my question from Chards website where it is stated (with reference to proof sets) that they prefer the early Britannias because they are better struck than the later ones. I don't possess any early examples but I can't see any difference just from comparing photographs. Can anyone confirm the assertion? Perhaps it refers to proofs only? And when did the deterioration, if any, set in? Maybe Lawrence could shed some light here, perhaps with help from the work of Semolina Pilchard? 

17 minutes ago, RDHC said:

I take my question from Chards website where it is stated (with reference to proof sets) that they prefer the early Britannias because they are better struck than the later ones. I don't possess any early examples but I can't see any difference just from comparing photographs. Can anyone confirm the assertion? Perhaps it refers to proofs only? And when did the deterioration, if any, set in? Maybe Lawrence could shed some light here, perhaps with help from the work of Semolina Pilchard? 

Take a look at the 2013 issues!

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Take a look at the 2013 issues!

😎

There may be a difference, anyway, between the 22ct pre 2013 versions and the later 9999 ones ie softer metal/different strike. The 2013 is clearly different in terms of dimension (flatter!) For a moment I thought you meant the seated Britannia with the Owl on her lap! I have not noticed any differences myself, except for colour changes when the RM was experimenting with variations in the alloy (addition of silver) eg 1997 & 2007. I've got proofs and bullion of the earlier ones and will get a comparative photo done....

I have just looked at a photo of a 2013 gold proof Britannai and I think I can see what Lawrence means, if I am right in thinking that Britannia's face is badly done, quite apart from the fact that I consider it one of the least attractive faces in the whole series. The owl is cute, however.

2 hours ago, RDHC said:

Do you mean that they are worse or better? 

2 hours ago, RDHC said:

I have just looked at a photo of a 2013 gold proof Britannai and I think I can see what Lawrence means, if I am right in thinking that Britannia's face is badly done, quite apart from the fact that I consider it one of the least attractive faces in the whole series. The owl is cute, however.

This page shows and describes the silver ones.

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=2013silverbritannias.php

I don't know how our photogrpaher got them to look so good.

and the gold ones:

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/2013britanniabullion.php

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

This page shows and describes the silver ones.

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=2013silverbritannias.php

I don't know how our photogrpaher got them to look so good.

and the gold ones:

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/2013britanniabullion.php

😎

Screenshot_20221019_073746_com.opera.browser.thumb.png.7b16cedb8cd48e748dbaf077588f87ad.png

I was hoping to buy a few hundred at these prices. But when I click ADD TO CART , it gives a Fatal Error message !

Can you get you IT to fix ?  A monster box @£4 per coin ? 😎

I'm still not clear whether Chards were/are talking about the standard bullion or the proof gold Britannias. I imagine that the dies wear out, which apply more to the bullion coins, but perhaps the new security features mean completely new dies? The latest bullion coins look o.k. to me. In general, I am somewhat confused about the whole matter. Can anyone provide any clarity?

8 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

Screenshot_20221019_073746_com.opera.browser.thumb.png.7b16cedb8cd48e748dbaf077588f87ad.png

I was hoping to buy a few hundred at these prices. But when I click ADD TO CART , it gives a Fatal Error message !

Can you get you IT to fix ?  A monster box @£4 per coin ? 😎

At the top of the page:

Visit our New site- we are combining all of our existing sites so that you can buy all your products in one place. We want to improve your online shopping experience with us, so if you have a moment, please click here and let us have your feedback. If you cannot find what you are looking for, call us on 01253 343081 and we will be happy to help.

We do not acrively maintain our 3 "heritage sites", but we leave them in place for their useful info, and also by reqquest.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, RDHC said:

I'm still not clear whether Chards were/are talking about the standard bullion or the proof gold Britannias. I imagine that the dies wear out, which apply more to the bullion coins, but perhaps the new security features mean completely new dies? The latest bullion coins look o.k. to me. In general, I am somewhat confused about the whole matter. Can anyone provide any clarity?

I doubt there is any clarity to be had, so you may have to let this go. In the end it’s probably down to opinions about the quality of Britannias over the last 35 years. There have been many issues to consider; change from 22ct to 9999, Proof only (7), different designs ranging from the weird to the wonderful, and introduction of security features. Haphazard is a word I might use and I am a Britannia, fan especially the Philip Nathan design! The very latest ‘Classic’ bullion designs are superb IMO as is the Proof 2022 (see avatar) The RM as you know depicted Britannia as “a women of colour” recently in line with their diversity policy. So overall,  I am as confused as you are over where the quality issues are……

NB. There is a list of all the different Britannia designs on the BBP website worth viewing

There seems to be more variety now in the later bullion Brits as illustrated below. Putting patterns on the ‘field’ instead of a mirrored finish makes it more interesting, as well as making it more difficult to fake….

I like to feel the sharpness of the edging when rolled between the fingers…..Oh - Yes!! 🤪

62D1DEF3-C3FB-4C33-89FC-039BB9484AC9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

There seems to be more variety now in the later bullion Brits as illustrated below. Putting patterns on the ‘field’ instead of a mirrored finish makes it more interesting, as well as making it more difficult to fake….

I like to feel the sharpness of the edging when rolled between the fingers…..Oh - Yes!! 🤪

62D1DEF3-C3FB-4C33-89FC-039BB9484AC9.jpeg

I entirely agree, though I am not entirely happy - on aesthetic grounds - about the hologram, and I prefer the sun rays to the more recent waves.