• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Dimensions am I missing something?

Bogart

Confused by dimensions quoted for 2022 gold coins. Maple leaf 30mm x 2.8mm and Kangeroo 32.6mm x 2.8mm. Both quoted as 1oz how is this if the Kangeroo has a diameter 2.6mm bigger than the Maple leaf and both same purity?

52 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Confused by dimensions quoted for 2022 gold coins. Maple leaf 30mm x 2.8mm and Kangeroo 32.6mm x 2.8mm. Both quoted as 1oz how is this if the Kangeroo has a diameter 2.6mm bigger than the Maple leaf and both same purity?

37 minutes ago, daca said:

Area x Depth = Volume

If area is in squarer millimetres, and depth is in millimetres.

And Area =  π x R squared, or π x D squared / 4

Where R is radius, or D - diameter.

Although thickness is always difficult to measure exactly for coins (easy for flat disc).

More maths lessons needed @Darr3nG!

😎

Chards

49 minutes ago, daca said:

Well am still lost here by you saying the Kangaroo is actually 2.95mm thick that makes its volume even more of a discrepancy on the Maple leaf.

7 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Area x Depth = Volume

Although thickness is always difficult to measure exactly for coins (easy for flat disc).

😎

Right Maple Leaf 30mm x 2.8mm by my reckoning is 1979 cubic mm and the Kangaroo  32.6mm x 2.95mm 2462 cubic mm  So going purely on volume the Kangeroo is nearly 25% bigger volume.

Though I have seen quotes of the Kangeroo being 2.8mm thick.

4 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Right Maple Leaf 30mm x 2.8mm by my reckoning is 1979 cubic mm and the Kangaroo  32.6mm x 2.95mm 2462 cubic mm  So going purely on volume the Kangeroo is nearly 25% bigger volume.

Though I have seen quotes of the Kangeroo being 2.8mm thick.

Depends where you measure it, and how!

For example:

😎

Chards

I am surprised that so many sites have incorrect dimensions.  Followed another members suggestion on here checking on gold.de and they state for example the Kangaroo having a thickness of2.65mm not 2.8mm or 2.95mm which I have seen.

3 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Area x Depth = Volume

😎

Where's Pythagoras when you need him?

2 hours ago, Bogart said:

I am surprised that so many sites have incorrect dimensions.  Followed another members suggestion on here checking on gold.de and they state for example the Kangaroo having a thickness of2.65mm not 2.8mm or 2.95mm which I have seen.

Maybe they bought a fake coin off of ebay and measured that.

Or a crappy ruler.

Or maybe they had a visually and numerically challenged numpty do the measuring? Or a tag team of Stevie Wonder and Kwasi Kwarteng...

2 hours ago, Bogart said:

As I said, it depends where and how you measure them.

Dif you look at the earlier TSF post which I linked above?

There are at least 3 places you could measure the thickness, so at least 3 different correct answers.

Then you would need to take some kind of average, but this would not be as simple as a simple arithmetic mean average, it would ned to be some kind of weighted average, which would make it impossible to do accurately.

😎

Chards