• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

hello from Belgium

Niels87

Hi all, 

New member here. 

I'm from belgium and I've been collecting coins for around 3 years. 
I'm starting to think my stategy might been better. 
So i joined this place to educate myself. 

I've mostly been buying kookaburras, pandas, somali elephant and lunars. 
Only a small part are recent coins, around 80% are older coins (just older then year they came out)  
What makes avarage price of my coins pretty high, around €30
My plan is to sell them later back on ebay but i just figured out that there are a lot of fees what makes it pretty expensive to sell a big amount of coins. 
are their better ways to sell older collectible coins ? 
Now i think i can better buy cheaper coins and sell them for silver price. 

Sorry for the typo's, my first language isn't english but i think everybody can understand me. 

grts. 

Hello and welcome.

I know what you mean about ebay eating up the premiums you may have gained on your older coins.

The solutions could be:

a> Wait until ebay gives you 75% off fees for a week

b> Sell elsewhere (here for example but it's a far smaller market) (maybe set up a facebook page)

c> Slowly sell your premium coins and buy back bullion coins increasing your stack size.

d> Never sell.

26 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

Hello and welcome.

I know what you mean about ebay eating up the premiums you may have gained on your older coins.

The solutions could be:

a> Wait until ebay gives you 75% off fees for a week

b> Sell elsewhere (here for example but it's a far smaller market) (maybe set up a facebook page)

c> Slowly sell your premium coins and buy back bullion coins increasing your stack size.

d> Never sell.

Thanks for the tips.  

I like option d the most, but someday i might have to sell if i need the money. lol 
That is how i found out about the ebay fees, my plan was just to start sell a coin every now and then to build up a trustworthy reputation on ebay for when i might need it. 
If i wouldn't use ebay in the future then i would be wasting my time with that right now.
I'll surely check the sales section on this forum out. 

And lovely forum by the way. I liek how active it is  and their are competitions and such. 

Welcome 

Possibly your strategy might benefit from slight tweaking, you say you are buying coins just older than when they come out, why not switch to just as they come out, you should be paying slightly less than a year or two later but admittedly you do have to wait the year or two to gain that extra amount.  When selling on Ebay best just to wait until there is a free or cheap listing day then put on auctions of 5 or 10 oz coins or bundle 1oz coins into 5 or 10 oz and whatever you make you don't have to give Ebay their 10%, they don't come up often so best to be ready to make the most of things when they do.  I'm certain you can get that 30 Euro down easily enough.

Good luck with everything.

2 minutes ago, Scuzzle said:

Welcome 

Possibly your strategy might benefit from slight tweaking, you say you are buying coins just older than when they come out, why not switch to just as they come out, you should be paying slightly less than a year or two later but admittedly you do have to wait the year or two to gain that extra amount.  When selling on Ebay best just to wait until there is a free or cheap listing day then put on auctions of 5 or 10 oz coins or bundle 1oz coins into 5 or 10 oz and whatever you make you don't have to give Ebay their 10%, they don't come up often so best to be ready to make the most of things when they do.  I'm certain you can get that 30 Euro down easily enough.

Good luck with everything.

I totally agree.
I'm going to stop buy older coins that i already have.
I still like to pay a bit more now and then and collect some series but having 1 time a serie should be enough...  
I didn't know about the ebay discount days, perhaps i need to sell something first and then they inform me when that day comes. 

I check ebay alot and i keep a spreadsheet of what price the coins get auctioned (the ones like)
Now i'm starting to learn the prices of the older coins pretty good, perhaps i can be of use someday by it. 

11 minutes ago, Niels87 said:

I totally agree.
I'm going to stop buy older coins that i already have.
I still like to pay a bit more now and then and collect some series but having 1 time a serie should be enough...  
I didn't know about the ebay discount days, perhaps i need to sell something first and then they inform me when that day comes. 

I check ebay alot and i keep a spreadsheet of what price the coins get auctioned (the ones like)
Now i'm starting to learn the prices of the older coins pretty good, perhaps i can be of use someday by it. 

What to do is continually select the selling option on Ebay and check down at the bottom of the page, just go to My Ebay and selling and at the bottom of the page is "Promotional Offers",  if I do this I get options like 20 free listings a month where I pay no insertion fees for my first 20 listings, there is also currently one for selling fashion items for £2 max where they take £2 off you rather than 10%.   But there will occasionally be offers where you pay no fees or you only pay 1 or two Euros. You just continually keep an eye on them and accept the ones that will benefit you.

Just now, Scuzzle said:

What to do is continually sellect the selling option on Ebay and check down at the bottom of the page, just go to My Ebay and selling,  if I do this I get options like 20 free listings a month where I pay no insertion fees for my first 20 listings, there is also currently one for selling fashio items for £2 max where they take £2 off you rather than 10%.   You just continually keep an eye on them and accept the ones that will benefit you.

Oke thanks ! 

Welcome, your strategy will likely develop over time until you find the balance between what you want out of it. There are a lot of ideas that are shared and discussed here about different ways to invest but ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

35 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

@ChrisSilver will answer that.

Payment is currently available via PayPal or BitCoins only. The system will ask for an address during checkout, but you can put in any random details if you do not wish to put your real name and address.

• Founder & Administrator
4 hours ago, Niels87 said:

Question about being a premium member. 
You can pay by creditcard for this or only paypal ? 

You can easily pay for premium membership using PayPal and an attached credit card.

If you do not have a paypal account and do not wish to make one (the process is quite simple

and quick to do) then perhaps you may have a friend who is willing to send a transaction for you.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived