• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

American Silver Eagle Strike Disparity

utahfuntimes

So I received a 2018 uncirculated silver eagle from APMEX today. I am really confused by the strike quality. When I compare it to a 2022, nothing looks crisp... the edges look rounded. Close up pictures are attached here of the 2018 and 2022. The lines on the 2022 letter Y are nice and crisp. The lines on the 2018 are not. Stark difference. The last picture attached is a close up of a 1991. Same thing... you can clearly see the serif on the Y, not on the 2018. The first picture of the 2022 even has a slight curve to the leg in the "R" in trust. The second picture for the 2018 the leg in the "R" is straight. And in the last, the 1991, the "R" also has the curve in the leg. So I am just confused by these differences.

Anyone have any explanation why this is? I cannot seem to find any information that explains this. I took the 2018 to a local reputable dealer, and they say it's authentic. I weighed it, measured it... and everything seems right.

IMG_1523.JPG

IMG_1524.JPG

IMG_1525.JPG

Edited by utahfuntimes

The difference in the shape of the letters is really noticeable. That can't be due to worn out dies...

But when I quickly checked Eagle images on the internet it seems there indeed is a different design of the letters on the coins from different years. Besides the R with a straight leg, you can notice also U is completely different with the extra "leg".

It seems 2022 version has this new design, while 2008 - 2021 coins have the other one. 2007 coin and all (?) before seem to have the design which was adopted again in 2022. Interesting...

I posted a topic about this a while back but it didn't garner much interest. I don't think it's to do with strike, I think they changed the font. I had a bunch in hand of different dates and noticed differences in font, one having sharper edges and a wider profile. All in storage now and can't remember off hand the years I was looking at.

7 hours ago, utahfuntimes said:

So I received a 2018 uncirculated silver eagle from APMEX today. I am really confused by the strike quality. When I compare it to a 2022, nothing looks crisp... the edges look rounded. Close up pictures are attached here of the 2018 and 2022. The lines on the 2022 letter Y are nice and crisp. The lines on the 2018 are not. Stark difference. The last picture attached is a close up of a 1991. Same thing... you can clearly see the serif on the Y, not on the 2018. The first picture of the 2022 even has a slight curve to the leg in the "R" in trust. The second picture for the 2018 the leg in the "R" is straight. And in the last, the 1991, the "R" also has the curve in the leg. So I am just confused by these differences.

Anyone have any explanation why this is? I cannot seem to find any information that explains this. I took the 2018 to a local reputable dealer, and they say it's authentic. I weighed it, measured it... and everything seems right.

4 hours ago, Happypanda88 said:

The US Mint produces millions of these ASE per year. Perhaps the mint die used to strike the 2018 coin had worn out so details aren't as crisp. 

But it is still a 1oz silver bullion coin and is worth the going market value for ASEs.

Perhaps you bought them from @Apmex100 instead of APMEX 😎

With such big production runs at competitive prices*, it would be surprising if every coin was perfect.

* Of course the US Mint has a monopoly on producing American Silver Eagles, but the Royal Canadian Mint produce Maple Leafs, and there are other mints fighting for their own market share.

😎

Chards

6 hours ago, CollectForFun said:

The difference in the shape of the letters is really noticeable. That can't be due to worn out dies...

But when I quickly checked Eagle images on the internet it seems there indeed is a different design of the letters on the coins from different years. Besides the R with a straight leg, you can notice also U is completely different with the extra "leg".

It seems 2022 version has this new design, while 2008 - 2021 coins have the other one. 2007 coin and all (?) before seem to have the design which was adopted again in 2022. Interesting...

Now that makes sense. Earlier coins and the 2021/22 have a similar look. The 2008 to early 2021 seem to have a slightly less refined font. Thanks for the answer.