• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

5oz Silver Canadian holo 2015 damage

GodsMoney

15 minutes ago, carrigher82 said:

Would this damage indicate this coins a fake?

Never see this type of damage, I would take the coin to a bullion dealer to verify the authenticity 

Sadly the damage is done, just bullion value at this point (if real).

33 minutes ago, daca said:

Never see this type of damage, I would take the coin to a bullion dealer to verify the authenticity 

Sadly the damage is done, just bullion value at this point (if real).

Could silver polish like Silvo cause this kind of thing?

4 minutes ago, carrigher82 said:

I've weighed the coin and it's the correct grams, also no metallic. Would it be hard to make this coin as a fake with the correct weight?

Not hard but it would be either bigger in diameter or thicker ( check measurements on Mint's website)

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

21 minutes ago, James32 said:

Not hard but it would be either bigger in diameter or thicker ( check measurements on Mint's website)

What a performance this is haha the weight and diameter look fine against the spec. Can't find a thickness measurement anywhere. I guess I'll have to take it for an acid test and hope it's at least bullion value

IMG_20220807_141430.jpg

IMG_20220807_141402.jpg

Screenshot_2022-08-07-14-16-21-116_com.android.chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, carrigher82 said:

What a performance this is haha the weight and diameter look fine against the spec. Can't find a thickness measurement anywhere. I guess I'll have to take it for an acid test and hope it's at least bullion value

IMG_20220807_141430.jpg

IMG_20220807_141402.jpg

Screenshot_2022-08-07-14-16-21-116_com.android.chrome.jpg

🤣🤣 try this first before inflicting more damage. 

https://youtu.be/GH6h6GhEDjA

1 minute ago, James32 said:

🤣🤣 try this first before inflicting more damage. 

https://youtu.be/GH6h6GhEDjA

For this big coin will need a minimum 1000g scale, with a minimum of 0.1g accuracy to do a specific gravity test.

On Amazon can be bought a good one up to £15.

7 minutes ago, daca said:

For a 5oz coin with a 40mm diameter the thickness should be double 😃 I'm only guessing but I believe apmex has the wrong diameter. 

5 minutes ago, daca said:

That has to be wrong on the apmex site. A 5oz coin has to be a lot larger in diameter. Otherwise, it would be really thick.

I suspect the coin concerned has been handled and maybe badly cleaned.

I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure harsh cleaning products will certainly damage the delicate proof finish, which seems consistent with the frosting missing in large patches, and the remainder of it weakened/damaged. Is the hologram leaf also meant to look brighter? Looks like damage to me.

Have you cleaned it? Or maybe purchase the coin from the secondary market, allowing for someone to have cleaned it?

1 minute ago, SilverJacks said:

I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure harsh cleaning products will certainly damage the delicate proof finish, which seems consistent with the frosting missing in large patches, and the remainder of it weakened/damaged. Is the hologram leaf also meant to look brighter? Looks like damage to me.

Have you cleaned it? Or maybe purchase the coin from the secondary market, allowing for someone to have cleaned it?

Yes I got it's second hand quite cheap, not far off 5oz bullion tbh so as long as it's fine silver I'm still happy to have it. Someone I know that polishes said if Silvo is used sometimes this can happen? Looks quite a lot of damage though for just a basic silver polish to do but who knows