• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help! Lizzy and Phil 1972 coin value please

Hi guys, a colleague of mine has inherited a load (approx 10 bags) of Elizabeth and Philip 1972 coins and he asked if i could find out the value per coin. I couldnt see any hallmarks or anything but im new to this game so i dont really know what i am looking for. I have attached pictures of the best and worst looking coins he brought and the one of the bags. They feel like they weigh about an oz but i dont have scales to confirm. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Ta very much!

Murphy

20220714_075707.jpg

20220714_075627.jpg

20220714_075611.jpg

IMG-20220714-WA0001.jpg

20220714_074518.jpg

20220714_074509.jpg

On 14/07/2022 at 08:01, Murphy1986 said:

Hi guys, a colleague of mine has inherited a load (approx 10 bags) of Elizabeth and Philip 1972 coins and he asked if i could find out the value per coin. I couldnt see any hallmarks or anything but im new to this game so i dont really know what i am looking for. I have attached pictures of the best and worst looking coins he brought and the one of the bags. They feel like they weigh about an oz but i dont have scales to confirm. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Ta very much!

Murphy

20220714_075707.jpg

20220714_075627.jpg

20220714_075611.jpg

IMG-20220714-WA0001.jpg

20220714_074518.jpg

20220714_074509.jpg

On 14/07/2022 at 08:18, modofantasma said:

They look like commemorative crowns 

On 14/07/2022 at 08:47, Petra said:

I think you will find that they are cupronickel, sell for anything from £2 upwards. Obviously condition is important.

On 14/07/2022 at 09:09, PrivateStacker195 said:

I bought mine for £1 

If you Googled "1947 1972 uk coin elizabeth philip", you would find lots of useful results, including:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=1972coinsets.php

Which will inform you that they are a 25 pence coin (crown), and lists them for sale at £1.50 each.

https://www.chards.co.uk/1972-crown/8385

Which is a similar, but more current page.

In case you are not aware, I will disclose an interest in both these pages / sites.

You will also find lots of people trying to sell them, I notice on ebay they range from £0.99 to £32.87, but ebay is full of jokers, scammers, and crooks.

You omitted to state what size the "10 bags" are, although you include a photo of a canvas mint bag, but without its label showing. I forget whether they are £100 or £50 sacks, but you undoubtedly can tell if you look.

I could also check if I went to look at some of the sacks and bucketsful of them at @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer, the next time I go. We have probably got a lot more of them than your colleague.

They are indeed "commemorative crowns", and "cupronickel".

We bought most of ours for 25 pence each, and I would be happy for us to buy more at the same price.

In sealed sacks, they make quite good doorstops.

Tatty ones are probably worth less. I doubt if banks or the Royal Mint would accept them at face value, but there are people who would be delighted to try using them to pay for diesel at Tesco.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

If you Googled "1947 1972 uk coin elizabeth philip", you would find lots of useful results, including:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=1972coinsets.php

Which will inform you that they are a 25 pence coin (crown), and lists them for sale at £1.50 each.

https://www.chards.co.uk/1972-crown/8385

Which is a similar, but more current page.

In case you are not aware, I will disclose an interest in both these pages / sites.

You will also find lots of people trying to sell them, I notice on ebay they range from £0.99 to £32.87, but ebay is full of jokers, scammers, and crooks.

You omitted to state what size the "10 bags" are, although you include a photo of a canvas mint bag, but without its label showing. I forget whether they are £100 or £50 sacks, but you undoubtedly can tell if you look.

I could also check if I went to look at some of the sacks and bucketsful of them at @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer, the next time I go. We have probably gor a lot more of them than your colleague.

They are indeed "commemorative crowns", and "cupronickel".

We bought most of ours for 25 pence each, and I would be happy for us to buy more at the same price.

In sealed sacks, they make quite good doorstops.

Tatty one are probably worth less. I doubt if banks or the Royal Mint would accept them at face value, but there are people who would be delighted to try using them to pay for diesel at Tesco.

😎

This is superb advise.. thank you. The coins arent mine so dont have access to the sacks, im just trying to find out for my colleague.. the picture of the sack was taken by him and sent to me.. I wonder if it might be worth my while trying to buy them from him and then selling on to u.. u are in blackpool of im not mistaken? Im based in Leeds so a quick zip along the old 62..

5 minutes ago, Murphy1986 said:

This is superb advise.. thank you. The coins arent mine so dont have access to the sacks, im just trying to find out for my colleague.. the picture of the sack was taken by him and sent to me.. I wonder if it might be worth my while trying to buy them from him and then selling on to u.. u are in blackpool of im not mistaken? Im based in Leeds so a quick zip along the old 62..

You are welcome.

Yes, our office / showroom is in Blackpool.

We are currently running an appointment system, so it's as well to call and book ahead.

I well remember doing many return trips to Leeds many years ago. Used to take about 2 hours each way., before the M62!

😎

Chards

6 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

You are welcome.

Yes, our office / showroom is in Blackpool.

We are currently running an appointment system, so it's as well to call and book ahead.

I well remember doing many return trips to Leeds many years ago. Used to take about 2 hours each way., before the M62!

😎

I have text my colleague, there are 16 bags total, 4 of which are completely sealed. The ones with legible labels still on them have 25p and £50 on. Images attached (4 sealed bags in one pic, other 12 in the other)

IMG-20220714-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20220714-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20220714-WA0003.jpg

• 6 months later...