• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Average price of special year Proof Half-sovereigns?

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help with determining the average price for the special year Proof Half-sovereigns?

1989, 2002, 2005, 2012 and 2017.

Prices generally seem to be all over the place.

Maybe a better question is what might be a reasonable / fair price if someone (me) was considering shopping around for these?

Thanks! 🙂

14 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Oh thank you so much! I’ll take a look on there. 🙂

There seems to be an element of speculation in proof and special year graded coins from what I can gather. I have few proof coins and none graded as yet but I do like the simplicity of bullion. 

15 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

There seems to be an element of speculation in proof and special year graded coins from what I can gather. I have few proof coins and none graded as yet but I do like the simplicity of bullion. 

Agreed!  It’s difficult for me to gauge how much is too much.  I’m not into graded coins though, so I think that means I might be able to get one or more of these at a reasonable price (I hope).  I’ve never considered Half-sovereigns, so this is new to me. 😅

50 minutes ago, modofantasma said:

Generally proofs maintain their value through condition. For the more valuable proofs grading both confirms the condition and also the slab protects the coin. For cheaper proofs grading is potentially not as beneficial.

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

what might be a reasonable / fair price if someone (me) was considering shopping around for these?

Will depend a lot on if they are graded.  Current trend seems to be that PF70's can go for up to 25% premium even over PF69 examples.  I have a 2002 PF70 and want a 1989 but the current price on those is too high for me.  I don't generally buy graded and only have 3 graded coins, two of which I only bought because they were the same price as raw. 

4 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Will depend a lot on if they are graded.  Current trend seems to be that PF70's can go for up to 25% premium even over PF69 examples.  I have a 2002 PF70 and want a 1989 but the current price on those is too high for me.  I don't generally buy graded and only have 3 graded coins, two of which I only bought because they were the same price as raw. 

Thanks. Indeed graded coins do sell  for more, and that’s understandable. I’m happy to settle for raw ungraded coins in their original packaging. 

5 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Thanks. Indeed graded coins do sell  for more, and that’s understandable. I’m happy to settle for raw ungraded coins in their original packaging. 

I am usually the same, but then I also rarely bother with proofs at all but similar to you would like to collect the special date versions.  Maybe start with this years if you do not have one already they seem to be fairly well available.  You can generally pick one up around £370-£400 raw.