• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

the rarest precious metal?

Not by a long way.

Platinum and some other Platinum group metals are rarer iirc.  I think Osmium is one of the rarer ones and maybe Tantalum is one of the rarer metals outside the Platinum group that is sometimes mentioned as a possible good investment,

I think Francium is perhaps the rarest naturally occurring metal (lab made very heavy elements would obviously be rarer) and is found in radioactive decay series of Uranium with one atom per some stupidly high number of Uranium atoms.  I don't suppose you'd call that precious though.

2 hours ago, Murph said:

I think Francium is perhaps the rarest naturally occurring metal (lab made very heavy elements would obviously be rarer) and is found in radioactive decay series of Uranium with one atom per some stupidly high number of Uranium atoms.  I don't suppose you'd call that precious though.

I didn't realise there was such a fine line between stacking and terrorism.

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

The story about Rhodium is quite funny.  One individual supposedly bought too much for the car firm he represented sending it to $10,000 per oz.  He then sold what they didn't need causing it to crash.

http://moneyweek.com/investing-in-commodities-precious-metals-rhodium-93413/

If that's the case, did he not make a lump of cash?

Stacker since 2013

I think this is the story but I've skimmed looking for related words.... rhodium... car....blunder...

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/2008/08/20/can-one-mans-actions-take-6-billion-value-out-minor-metal-market-month

Now we come to our present situation and story. It's now two years later and the successor to the man who sold the rhodium when he shouldn't have it is said now decided not to repeat that mistake. So he came up with a new blunder. He decided to stockpile not six-months worth of rhodium as the formerly great corporation had been doing but 18 months worth, and he proceeded to do just that. This meant that the formerly great company wound up holding or controlling by the end of the spring 2008, some 10% of the global rhodium supply.

So what would you think would be the worst thing one could do in this situation? You are right. It would be to try and sell a large amount of rhodium into a declining market. The hapless, unsophisticated, unskilled-in-PGM-trading manager, it is said, offered 30,000-60,000 ounces of his 90,000 ounce rhodium inventory to the market

5 minutes ago, silvertiger said:

There is 5 times more gold above ground than silver. But silver is more usefull, so why do we have less?

silver is not more useful. gold and silver have different

uses. gold is corrosion resistant and better suited for long

term store of value(money). arguable gold has the most

uses of any metal.

HH

Archived