• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Swapping Silver for Gold

Junior

4 hours ago, bluemoon said:

The silver I have feels like a ball & chain now. Bulky, heavy and space consuming. It was a good deal during the downturn but I fully intend to swap it for gold when the time is right. Gold is so much more efficient and reliable. Silver is good if you like a bit of speculating but gold is the better hedge against inflation. Just watching the GSR for the right time to swap.

The bulkyness and weight of silver also has a positive side. Imagine a burglar found your stack, they could very easily run away with gold worth a lot; how many ounces of gold would fit into a pocket? But running away with the same value worth of silver would be a lot harder. Of course, the flipside is that if you ever needed to flee your home and your country, it would be easy to take your gold, but harder to bring your silver.

2 hours ago, goldsilverdash said:

Buying silver only in order to get more gold seems to me like such a roundabout way. If gold is all you want then just buy gold, I say.

I stack both gold and silver, and if I would feel that I have "too much" silver in relation to how much gold I have, I would buy more gold.

It's the ratio play, when silver is like 120 to 1 it pays to put your money in silver, jts going to be significantly cheaper then gold but when the ratio drops then you can offload your silver into gold and keep your stack growing or wait till one drops sufficient to but it yourself or towards the next ratio flip

4 minutes ago, goldsilverdash said:

The bulkyness and weight of silver also has a positive side. Imagine a burglar found your stack, they could very easily run away with gold worth a lot; how many ounces of gold would fit into a pocket? But running away with the same value worth of silver would be a lot harder. Of course, the flipside is that if you ever needed to flee your home and your country, it would be easy to take your gold, but harder to bring your silver.

But you can buy  opportunities ingots or lead ingots to weigh down your safe, you don't have to buysilver to do it, if they're loose then maybe if you have 500 ounces of silver on display but I think with those values the thieves would make a special second trip to get them all....betterto spend the equivalent of one ounce of gold on security rather then 10,000 ounces of safe stuffed silver ingots.

Just now, DarkChameleon said:

But you can buy  opportunities ingots or lead ingots to weigh down your safe, you don't have to buysilver to do it, if they're loose then maybe if you have 500 ounces of silver on display but I think with those values the thieves would make a special second trip to get them all....betterto spend the equivalent of one ounce of gold on security rather then 10,000 ounces of safe stuffed silver ingots.

If a burglar stole my gold and then came back a second time for my silver, I would be waiting for them 😁

I would never want my stack to consist of 100% gold or 100% silver as I don’t want to put all my eggs in the same basket. Nobody really knows what will be the better hold going forward, and I personally feel a lot safer with a more diversified stack.

Also, I want my stack to be barter-friendly, and as such silver coins play an important role (as well as fractional gold coins). Having only gold, and only bigger pieces of gold, will limit your options considerably when it comes to barter.

For these reasons, I think it is a mistake to treat silver simply as a means for getting more gold. Silver is worth having on its own merits, in addition to gold.

On 19/03/2022 at 16:30, goldsilverdash said:

If a burglar stole my gold and then came back a second time for my silver, I would be waiting for them 😁

If a burglar attempted to steal most people's gold holdings on this forum, he'd be underwater. So many needless boat accidents.